Chapter 18

The repair of the camp had begun. Mistyheart was helping them the best she could, but being back in her cat's body felt strange. She had been used to the immense strength and agility that came with her dragon. But now she was nimble yet a great warrior. After all, this was the cat that Fireheart fell in love with. But, of course, she has to have some teal to manage that feat.

"Mistyheart, will you help Brindleface?" Fireheart asked. Even though he was not the deputy, he was still helping Mistyheart organize the whole thing. They were mates, after all, and the deputy shared her burdens with her friends. Mistyheart nodded. "I will," she said, then padded over to the queen, who was struggling to keep her kits around her but also patching up the wall.

Misytheart mewed to the kits, and they rushed over, excited to be in the presence of the great dragon. Misytheart felt a chuckling purr rumble out of her throat, and she gave the nearest kit a lick. "there," Brindleface said suddenly, turning back to face her deputy with a lowered head. "Thank you, Mistyheart," she said.

Misytheart smiled. "Of course," then she padded off, helping orders here and there. Now that Tigerclaw wasn't around her anymore, the air wasn't that hard, but it was still filled with grief from the losses the clan had to suffer.

But Mistyheart was just happy to be back. But she would have to sneak out later to tend to the ShadowClan cats. They were strong enough when she left them, but she had started to think of them as her own.

Soon enough, her work was done for the day, and she shooed her white pelt, hoping to see the chance to see Litttlecloiud and Whiterhoat. The two cats had been kind to her.

When Mistyheart was just about to go out through the gorse tunnel, the deep voice of Darkstripe started her. "Where are you going?" he asked. Although his tone was gentle, it still held suspicion buried deep. Mistyheart cursed and turned around, smiling gently. "Just out on a nightly stroll, that's all," she said half the truth. Even as a dragon, she went out on patrols late at night. It was just something that had her soothed, and she ensured that no critter came into her den stealing any herbs or food she had stored.

Darkstripe narrowed his eyes. "Bluestar won't be happy about this, nor will your little kittypet," he said. Mistyheart flicked her tail. "I know, but they do not know. And if you tell them, I will make sure you regret it" Mistyhear wasn't very fond of making threats, but if she had to, she did.

Darkstripe seemed taken aback by her busk nature and he stepped away, unsure of what to do. Finally, with a polite smile, the deputy left the dark-tanned warrior by the tunnel entrance, wondering why he had reacted this way. Sure, Mistyheart wasn't a normal cat, and she could turn into that monster of hers any minute, given if she wanted to, but he had still feared her before. They had a good relationship with respect, that was all.

She had been the deputy loing before Tigerclaw's betrayal, so he was used to seeing her.

But she had always been so gentle, never threatening anyone. Perhaps her time as a beast has steeled her to the cruelty of this world? He thought, ponderingly.

It could be that or that she hadn't forgiven him for being such a loyal follower of Tigerclaw. She took it the worst out of all the cats when that big tom betrayed them.

Tigerclaw had been closer to Mistyheart than Darkstripe but still not as close as Fireheart, which he lost her to.

Tigerclaw wasn't a cat that forgave anyone. He had sworn to kill Fireheart and make Mistyheart his that Darkstripe had heard one day when the warrior was thinking out loud in his nest.

He hadn't thought of it much because he didnt care for either of the cats. But now that Tigerclaw had betrayed him and his trust, he sure wouldn't let anything happen to either of his clanmates again.

He had enough of traits now.

"There's more to being a warrior than killing. A true warrior — the best warrior — isn't cruel or mean. He doesn't claw an enemy who can't fight back. So where's the honor in that?"
Erin Hunter, , no cannon character is mine. The plot line, however, is mine as I've altered it to the liking of this book, writing only what I remember of it.

The only characters that are mine are Mistyheart, Thistleclaw, and those cats that do not have canon names. I hope you all like this and continue to sport me as you've done.

- Z