chapter thirteen

Keeping such a big secret was hard. With in a week I had broken down four times and almost told my mum. But soon Ashton was back at home and at his old flat which was half empty and with an empty fridge, so he took me shopping with him.

"So when did you find out?" Ashton asked.

"Five minutes before I called you. I had a day off school, I didn't feel well." I explained, my hands instinctively going to my tummy. "I'm scared Ash."

"Me too, Luke." Ashton threw an arm around my shoulder as I pushed the trolley around the aisles. "We'll get through it. I told my mum that you think you are and she booked us at this really nice private clinic."

I nodded, "Thank you." I leaned up and kissed his jaw softly. "You're surprisingly calm about this."

"Luke, it's because I love you. If it was Mali I got pregnant, I wouldn't be as calm." I nodded and stopped, picking up some cookies. "Have you been having morning sickness? Cravings?"

"Just the sickness, once." I said quietly, picking up more biscuits. "What if the test was wrong and I'm just sick, Ash."

"Then the private clinic will show us."

We shopped a bit longer and I soon found myself looking at the baby aisle. I looked at the tiny boots and sighed. Fuck. I couldn't have a baby. Ashton wasn't around, I wasn't okay enough to look after a baby. I would look terrible with a bump. I couldn't wear skirts.

"Princess?" Ashton called, taking my hand. "Cmon, don't force yourself."

I nodded and let Ashton tug me back. We went to the check out and Ashton paid before taking my hand but he paused. "I'm going to buy more of these." He said, picking up a blue box of condoms. Ashton left me with the trolley as he went back and paid for them before putting them in one of the bags. "I really regret not having a condom."

I looked down at my shoes as we walked but asked Ashton a question: "Do you want this baby?"

Ashton glanced at me before sighing. "Honestly: no."

I frowned. "Neither do I."

"Then what are we doing Luke?" Ashton asked quietly. "Because I live across Australia, I can't be there for the pregnancy or the baby."

"I know." We got to the car, and put the things in the boot. We got in the car and I looked out the window as Ashton put the key in the ignition. "How do I tell my mum?"

Ashton stayed quiet.

When we arrived at home, I helped Ashton with the food and I sat on the floor as Ashton put the food in the fridge and freezer. When we were done Ashton sat beside me, our hands entwined and we looked up at the photos still on the fridge. "Why didn't you take these home?" I asked.

"Wanted to keep them here, for when I came back." Ashton said quietly. "I love you." He whispered, kissing my forehead.

I closed my eyes and let him kiss me before dropping my head to his shoulder. "I love you too."

"If you decide to keep the baby I'm going to love this baby too." Ashton said, his free hand rubbing my tummy.

"So I have to decide?" I questioned. "Because I don't want to, I want you to tell me what I should do about this baby." I said, a little harsher, gripping Ashton's hand tightly.

"I don't know." Ashton mumbled.

***

Ashton's mum took Ash and I to the private clinic. I slumped in the seat, Ashton's fingers gripping mine before my name was called. I stood up, Ashton following, Anne waiting for us outside.