chapter 4: collision.

"hey, eddie," said stanley as he entered the kitchen.

"mornin'," eddie answered.

"someone's an early-bird."

"of course that's the phrase you use," eddie teased. stanley rolled his eyes and scoffed.

"oh shut it," he said.

"not a morning person, stanny?"

"i feel like you would've known this by now—" stanley said. eddie shrugged.

"i dunno. i just like teasing ya."

"clearly!"

eddie chuckled and hopped off of the counter. "can we go to the pharmacy today? i ran out of pills and i don't want my mom being upset."

"oh," said stanley, "of course."

"alright. thanks, stan," eddie said with a slight chuckle.

"yeah. i hear they're hiring? maybe you could get a job?" stanley suggested. eddie snickered.

"yeah no. i'll pass. i'm thirteen," eddie argued.

"yeah, but you'll be fourteen in a few weeks! you're still able to get a job," stanley pointed out.

"old enough or not, i don't want one," said eddie, "sure, getting paid is great. doing the work though? nah."

"damn, you're lazy as hell," stanley chuckled, taking a sip of coffee.

"ugh, i can't believe you like that bullshit. coffee's disgusting."

"yeah right, pepsi boy," stanley regaled. eddie scoffed.

"okay— soda and caffeine are two different things! plus, pepsi's good. your taste buds are just awful."

"not as awful as your inability to get a job."

"shut the fuck up!" eddie shouted quietly, slapping stanley's shoulder, who chuckled.

"c'mon, bud, we might have customers soon," kevin sighed, cringing at the nickname. richie shakily stood, wiping his face. "wanna talk about it or anything?"

"no, kev, i'm fine," richie said, walking over to the counter and leaning against it. kevin stared for a second before sighing again and heading behind the counter.

tears crowded richie's eyes once kevin was gone. he was still scared about his punishment when he returned home.

at this, a group of five walked through the door, making richie jump and sniff, wiping his eyes. he displayed a smile, which faded when he saw one of the boys. he was beautiful. richie felt his face heating up as they came closer.

"hi, um, can i get my meds?" eddie asked. richie felt his heart race, but he knew how to play this off.

"well, you could if i knew what they were?" richie suggested with a grin.

"un-funny. i need them," eddie argued.

"okay okay! sorry!" richie apologized sarcastically, raising his hands up. richie sighed. "but i honestly have no clue what they are."

"where's the guy that's normally here?!" eddie yelped. beverly rubbed his shoulder.

"woah, chill out, dude. i'll get him, i warn you though, he's an asshole," richie said with a shrug. he walked to the back, smacking the doorway.

"what is it this time?" kevin groaned.

"there's this angry short brunette asking for his medication. i have no clue what he's talking about. he said you do," richie explained. kevin sighed.