chapter 31; you're happy.

"such an asshole!" eddie whimpered, shoving his fist into his face and crying. from the way sonia had not yet gone upstairs to check on the screaming, that's how eddie knew she was officially done being his mother.

richie sniffed and wiped his tears as he biked. turning back to his street, he swerved into his driveway, shaking already. he chucked his bike at the ground furiously.

storming up to the door, he opened it and just angrily walked through, slamming it and storming off to his room. maggie and wentworth watched, both confused. but they didn't move.

as richie sobbed into his hands, sitting on his bed, he heard his door open, jumping. he was too scared to keep crying.

maggie sucked in a long breath, leaning against the door frame and crossing her arms. opening her mouth, her tongue clicked.

"what's wrong?" she asked. richie's eyes were bulging out of his eyes.

"w-what..?" richie whimpered, sniffing as tears dropped down his eyes.

maggie sighed and slowly walked over to him. he flinched as she put her hand on his face, only to wipe away the fresh tear that fell. richie looked up at her, terrified yet equally confused. shocked, especially.

"no, it's not a trap. just.. uh.. w-what's wrong?"

richie's mouth gaped open. "why..?" he whispered.

"hm?"

"why are you being nice to me?"

maggie looked away from him, clearly avoiding the question. "are ya gonna tell me what's up or not?"

"i-.. just.." he uttered. "sorry."

"it's.. it's- it's okay," she stuttered hesitantly. richie eyes nearly fell out of his head as he looked at his mother with puppy eyes. "if- if.. if you n-need me, i'm.. yeah- you know where to find me."

maggie left the room quickly, shutting the door behind her. richie stared at the door as if he had just seen a ghost. as tears ran down his face, a slight smile was stretched onto it. he covered his hands over his face and began laughing barely.

"holy fuck," he sighed, smiling giant. he began uncontrollably laughing, genuinely so happy.

a fuzzy feeling spread through his body, and he began jumping around his room in excitement, and to hopefully rid of the energy boost.

"eddie hates you, eddie hates you, eddie hates you," he repeated, closing his eyes and jumping in place. he was hoping that would help clear his energy, but nothing could cure his joy about maggie.

richie sighed and sat on his bed, staring at the floor. he tried to think about it, only to pass out a few minutes later and fall off of the bed.

as richie left his room, his face grew shocked once again to see his mother in the kitchen with a plate of three pancakes stacked on top.

"m-maggie?" he asked, squinting his eyes. maggie glanced at him.

"i- uh- made breakfast.." she said, seeming ashamed for some odd reason.

a smile grew across richie's face and he stared at maggie with love and thankfulness for the first time. tears filled his eyes.

'i can't believe this isn't a dream,' he thought, slowly ambling over to the pancakes.

"may i..?" he asked.

"oh! uh- yeah! they're for you and i."

richie bit his bottom lip to stop smiling so wide. "where's dad?" maggie stayed quiet and shoved a plate at richie, who nodded and took it, grabbing a pancake. "uh, i have to get to work in a few minutes.. but.. um.. can you- eat with me?"