chaper 25; first time for everything.

(tw: intense fighting/arguing, slight abuse)

- SATURDAY -

"just one more day and i'm outta here," richie sighed sloppily, joining kevin in the storage room.

"we both are. i don't know if you've forgotten, but we get a week break every three months," kevin chuckled. "you just came right on time."

"oh yeah. but- who's filling in for us-?"

"this old guy and his daughter. the bowies."

"hm," richie hummed, wincing at how close that name was to bowers. he was relieved henry wouldn't be running this shit.

"things are gonna be so weird not being here every day with you," kevin said.

"true. the only part about this shithole that i like is being annoying to you."

"hah, yeah, won't miss that," kevin said.

"not you fuckin' acting like we're leaving forever."

"just saying, spending a week alone will feel like forever," kevin admitted, and richie nodded.

"i'll hang out with ya, quit fussin'. and unless you wanna meet my new friends, you probably will be alone a few days," richie said. kevin shrugged.

"i'd probably rather that than hang out with a bunch of thirteen and fourteen year olds."

"yeah yeah."

11:34 PM

eds 🤩🤩 >>> rich 🫶

eds 🤩🤩: richie please answer i need u rn

rich 🫶: whats going on?

eds 🤩🤩: please come ober

rich 🫶: okay, take a deep breath, i'm on my way :(

eds 🤩🤩: hurry pelsse

"uh, kev, i really gotta go. i'm so sorry. you can check this text but i have to go."

"okay, go ahead, the shift's nearly over anyway. no one even comes in around this time of night," said kevin. richie thanked him and ran out of the pharmacy, biking over to eddie's as quick as he could manage.

he climbed up to eddie's window, which was already cracked open, and flung himself inside, rushing in to eddie who was hyperventilating on his bed, hands over his face.

"hey! eddie!" richie called, flying over to the bed and crouching in front of eddie. he took eddie's hands and held them, and eddie just continued crying.

"ri- richie—" eddie breathed, wrapping his arms around richie's neck.

"heyy! what's wrong?" richie asked softly, rubbing his back. "was it your mom?"

eddie nodded quickly into his shoulder. "i ca.. can..t.."

"shh.. take a deep breath eds. i know it sounds impossible, but you just have to follow along with me, okay?" richie pulled out of the hug and stared eddie in the eyes, who stared back, unable to breathe. he nodded. "okay. close your mouth, close your eyes, and clear your mind. it's just a dark, empty void, got that?" eddie nodded. "now fill that dark void with air. breathe in as much as you can, fill the black, empty tank with white." eddie did so. "hold it. okay, release. your mind is black again. can you do that again?"

richie and eddie both repeated the process over and over until eddie was only lightly crying. he sniffed and took another deep breath before hugging richie.