chapter 36.

the window in richie's room opened, making richie and kevin both look up at it. eddie's head titled.

"well this was unexpected," eddie said, falling through and reaching to beverly, who climbed in as well.

"oh great," kevin sighed.

"oh, bev, eddie- hey?" richie said awkwardly.

"i'm so confused," beverly pointed out, looking between richie and kevin.

"i offered for him to stay since.. he was kicked out," richie lied. "this is kevin."

"ohh!" beverly exclaimed. "that one from the pharmacy."

"oh," eddie uttered.

"yeah. the one from the pharmacy. i love being remembered that way," kevin chuckled.

"sooo, what should we do with ourselves?" beverly asked richie.

"uh- i mean, you can stay if you want, i'm not kicking kevin out though so you're gonna have to suck it up and try not to get annoyed."

"okay," kevin interrupted, turning to richie, "i am not that bad!"

"aaaagree to disagree."

"no," kevin said.

richie shrugged. "your choice," he said to beverly and eddie.

"well, no offense, kevin, but thiiiis is awkward, so ima leave, i'll see you guys around," beverly said, leaving richie's room by the door. eddie waved richie off and left with beverly.

"thank. god," kevin uttered.

"whaat? they're awesome. just.. not very welcoming to new, older people."

"pssh, okay, they might be 'awesome' to you, but honestly, to me they're just a bunch of thirteen and fourteen year olds."

"there's only two of them, slow bitch."

"you get what i mean."

"NIGHT, kevin."

"night."

the next morning, the pharmacy was bustling with customers, the sound of ringing cash registers and the scent of medicine filling the air. richie stood behind the counter, busy at work, meanwhile kevin was busy organizing shelves nearby.

richie blew out, the line ending as the final customer walked away, leaving only a group left ambling around the store. he looked over at kevin, ready to break the awkward silence.

"hey kevin, you know what they say about workin' in a pharmacy?" richie asked, preparing some random dad joke to get conversation flowing.

"what's that?" kevin asked tiredly.

"it's like being a drug dealer, but with a legal license," richie added with a smirk, leaning against the counter.

kevin rolled his eyes. "you know, one day, your immature humor will get you into trouble."

"oh, come on, kevin! where's your sense of adventure? life's too short to be serious all the time. besides, i'm just trying to lighten the mood around here," said richie. kevin sighed and looked up at richie.

"lighten the mood? richie, we're dealing with people's health here, this isn't a joke. we have a responsibility to our customers," said kevin. he faced back to his work, mumbling a, "i've told you this before."

"oh, mr. responsible over here! look, i get it. we have to be all 'professional' and all that, but a little fun never hurt anyone. woah.. that rhymed.. i must be dr. suess. anyway, it keeps us sane in this crazy world of pills and prescriptions," richie mocked.