Niece of Ren

Kara POV -

I pulled the door closed behind me as I walked out into Ren's office. I had just set down the clothes that Jane had brought back for Ap'ate on the bathroom counter and left her alone to finish her shower in peace. As I looked around the room I could see that everyone was there. Even Stefy.

"When did you get here?" I smiled at the small Italian woman as she sat in a chair across the room and Cardo stood behind her with his hands on her shoulders.

"Just now." Stefy's smile was contagious and I smiled back as I headed for Ren.

"How was the mission, Angel?" Ren set his glass down as I walked over to where he sat behind his desk.

"It was fine." I gave Kuruk a glance as he sat on the couch with Sarah by his side.

Kuruk smirked back at me quickly before he turned his attention back to his girl. Our missions had been going great lately. Kuruk and I worked so perfectly together. And after my first mission back where almost everything went wrong, we had learned. We did far more surveillance and scouted everything twice before we entered any building where our mark was. So this last mission had been easy as pie after we saw the amount of security the man we had been sent to kill had. We had waited outside his kid's school where there was no security and took him out right there.

Sure we felt bad for traumatizing the kids but considering his own child was one of his victims I didn't feel that bad. And the news outlets in the area had already received a thick envelope filled with surveillance of his misdeeds just to make sure no one tried to remember him as a local hero or well-loved man. He was a piece of shit who bled out in the street alone and frightened. Just like he deserved.

"I know that look." Ren sighed as his hands found my hips. "You two are starting to make me wonder if I need to separate you."

"We're not naughty children, Ren," I smirked down at him as I turned to fully face him.

"Hmm."

"Oop!!" I yelped as Ren's fingers tightened on my hips and I was jerked down into his lap. "Really!"

"I saved you a seat," Ren whispered in my ear as he pulled me to him and I shivered from his touch right before I felt all the eyes on my back and tried to push away.

"Oh my god stop." I tried to push on Ren's chest to get up but he had me caged in with his massive arms as his nose nuzzled against my hair and ear.

"I missed you."

"I missed you too, Ren." I smiled as he finally let me sit up and I turned to face the room that was solely focused on me. "What?"

"You two are so cute." Sarah laughed and leaned into Kuruk's side as he sat with his arm draped over her shoulders.

"You are though." Shannan was in Ushar's lap on the sofa next to Sarah. I was happy to see that Ushar was actually smiling, something he seemed to be doing a lot more lately.

"So..." Trudgen looked over at me from the window where he stood watching the back lot like a sentry. "What do you think?"

"She stays."

"I know that." He scoffed as he glanced at me with an eye roll before staring back out the window as the night started to grow dark. "That was never up for debate or discussion. Do you think she's telling the truth?"

"Only one way to find out." Cardo sighed as he thought what we were all thinking.

"Yeah, but who goes?" Kuruk looked around at the rest of the Knights but ended up focusing on Trudgen. "You speak the local dialects, and you know the area."