21

Cyra woke up feeling an almost unnatural amount of energy. Her skin was buzzing and it just felt... good. She felt good. The egg beside her was still an ivory pale color, but it was also warm again.

Cyra placed the egg in a large satchel and left home in her handmade ceremonial clothes. She made sure to place the dragon armlet on her bicep. It was nice to be wearing the familiar traditional clothes she grew up with once more.

She was awake before most of the clan, apart from a good sized group of her peers.

They were putting on roughly sewed neutral colored clothes and poorly made armor. The clan has armor, but they were going against the chief's orders, so they couldn't use it— they wanted to fight the fire nation instead of attending a celebration and pretending nothing was wrong. The chief didn't want anyone to leave the village and possibly expose the sun warriors, but Cyra understood how her old friends felt and longed to join them. Instead she wished them luck as she passed, and they did the same for her.

She walked to the sealed chamber where the other egg was waiting for her. She entered through a secret backway and pressed a panel that lifted the egg from the ground on a pedestal. This egg was carefully covered in gold to protect it until the day came for it to hatch. She twisted a gem at the bottom and the gold armor fell away, leaving a dark red egg behind.

Cyra noticed with a frown that this egg was significantly warmer than the other one, hot actually. She placed it next to the other egg in her satchel, and hoped the red egg would keep the other warm.

She began the journey to the mountaintop clearing, enjoying the high the comet's approach brought. Cyra could barely feel the pit of worry in her stomach, but she couldn't ignore the thoughts that came with it.

It was a much farther walk to the mountains from the ancient civilization's place of origin, and it was going to take Cyra quite a bit of time to reach the top of the mountain.

She began devising awful and stupid plans on how to see Azula after all of this was over. If the avatar won, Cyra could sneak into whatever prison they kept the old Fire Nation rulers in, and if they lost she could...

A rumbling overhead stopped her thoughts for a moment. She was high enough on her trek up the mountainside that she could see a long row of massive fire nation airships making their way northeast. Her heart was frozen in her chest as terror filled her, realizing that they headed the direction of the earth kingdom. She turned away and picked up her pace, trying to bury the curiosity of Azula's whereabouts.

When she reached the top of the mountain she could feel the heat radiating strongly from the eggs. She climbed the stairs and waited. Ran and Shaw emerged from their caves, Shaw carrying a large stone pedestal that he placed in the center of the platform.

The sky was beginning to change colors overhead. The deep crimson color would likely seem terrifying to anyone other than a firebender, but to Cyra it felt like a drunk looking at a glass of wine. She let the atmosphere envelope her willingly.

"We will prioritize the egg from this world, place it on the pedestal now."

Cyra did as she was told, ignoring the burning sensation she felt on her hands as she touched the red egg.

"I feel I must warn you, the egg from the spirit world has lost all color and does not hold nearly the same warmth as this egg," she said as she looked between the Masters.

They nodded in understanding.

"We expected it would be different, but we must still try," Ran said.

"You will have to stand behind me to avoid the heat of our flames, it will be dangerous for a human like you," Shaw spoke.