Chapter Seventeen: Goodbyes/ Sleep for lost memories

Phoenix leads the sextant to a large white room containing a giant flower-shaped pod, which has the appearance of a lotus flower. This made everyone look at the pod in wonder, Twitchy looked at it while tilting his head back. Faith and Goofy looked at it, then back at each other. Donald asked first "To remember again, all of our friends, families and homes, we have to sleep in that?" As he pointed at it. Phoenix replied "Yes. It's going to take a little time, but I'll take care of you. Righting my wrongs, undoing the damage and pain I've caused." Goofy felt a bit sad about the results when they would wake up and said "Gawrsh, when we wake up, we won't remember who you are anymore.....even if we meet again, we'd won't know you either.". Faith warbled in worry of forgetting Phoenix, and that they won't remember him when they wake up. Donald asked, "But how are we gonna thank you?". He then exchanged looks with Goofy, he just shook his head in sadness. Jiminy sparked an idea, that cheered up everyone as he showed his journal to his friends, "Don't worry about that! I'll just make a big note in my journal. And it will say, "Thank Phoenix.". This made everyone put smiles on their faces, Twitchy yapped happily while bouncing around. Faith warbled in relief at the idea. Donald sighs in happiness "Oh, good. That makes me feel better. Smart idea Jiminy." Jiminy blushed a bit, but smiled. Goofy said "Well, good night, then, Phoenix. Take care of yourself." Phoenix nodded and said "I will, Good night, Goofy. Good night to you too Donald, Twitchy, Faith, and Jiminy". "Good night Phoenix" Donald and Jiminy said at the same time. The five of them waved, Donald, Faith and Goofy leave to enter their pods to sleep. Jiminy heads to Darcey's hoodie and closed his eyes to sleep. Twitchy was picked up by Phoenix and placed in the shoulder bag, where he yawned and went to sleep.

Leaving Darcey and Phoenix alone in front of the pod, Phoenix and Darcey looked at each other for a few seconds. Phoenix said "You too, Darcey." She nodded and said "Okay". She starts to climb into the pod, and Phoenix said "All of this may have started with a lie...but I really am glad that I can meet you, Darcey." Darcey stopped climbing to face Phoenix, to tell him something and said "Yeah, me too. When I finally found you, and even when I remembered your name, I was happy. The way I felt then--- That was no lie." "Goodbye" Phoenix said. Darcey shook her head and said "No, not goodbye! When I wake up, I'll find you. And then there will be no lies. We're gonna be friends for real. Promise me, Phoenix." Phoenix reminded her "You're going to forget making that promise when you wake up." Darcey did feel a tad bit sad, but still remained optimistic and said "If the chain of memories comes apart, the links will still be there, right? So the memory of our promise will always be inside me somewhere. I'm sure of it." Phoenix didn't want to argue about it, so he agreed "Yeah, you're right. Okay, it's a promise." "Good, until later." Darcey smiled. Together, they join their pinky fingers together to signify their promise. Darcey waved goodbye and jumped into the pod, still looking at Phoenix.

As the pod begins to close, Phoenix looks at his pinky finger before telling Darcey something important "A promise... Huh... Darcey, some of your memories' links are deep in the shadows of your heart and I won't be able to find them. But don't worry--- You made another promise to someone who you could never replace. He is your light. The light within the darkness. Remember him, and all the memories lost in the shadows of your heart will come into the light and to the light side of the Force." "Another promise I made...." Darcey asked in wonder. Phoenix told her "Look at the good luck charm. I changed its shape when I changed your memory--- But when you thought of her just once, it went back to the way it was." Darcey was confused for a bit, but reached into her pocket. She takes out Raiden's charm and looks at it. The pod closes, and Darcey is surrounded by darkness. She stares at the charm, trying to remember her friend. Phoenix appears beside her. Darcey starts to remember her friends and family from Traverse Town and Destiny Islands. She shakes her head as she continues to try to remember. Amanda's image appears in his mind, and then, finally, Raiden's. Her memory starts to come back to her and cried out "Raiden!". The darkness becomes light, as Raiden smiles at her. The shadows of Amanda, her friends and family come out of the darkness and into the light. They all smiled at her, with happiness and joy. Darcey too smiled "My friends...My family....". Phoenix starts to float away from her memories, Darcey saw Phoenix and asked "Phoenix?". Phoenix calmly explained "Don't worry. You might forget about me...but with our promise, I can come back." Darcey agreed "A promise is a promise.". Phoenix agreed "Yes. One day the light---it will be ours, and it will bring us together. Til then---I'll be in your heart. As friends." Darcey nodded "Right. Forgotten---but not lost." Darcey smiles at Phoenix, as she closes her eyes to sleep to regain her true memories.