Chapter 3

Mondays are horrible, Saturdays you're happy because you've got Sunday left and then when Sunday comes, you start to stress because then it's Monday and when Monday finally comes, you get depressed and you count the days until Saturday. That's really what adult life is all about.
I was listening to some Quran to soothe myself in my headphones.

"But you're really upset about it." Amina says to me as she sits next to me on the bus

I give her a smile that disappears five seconds later.

"Did you spend all day Sunday thinking about what your aunt said?"

"Of course not, I lie as she puts her bag on the floor"

I spent most of my day on Sunday making invocations to hope that my aunt Nafsa would be shipped to Alaska, away from me, plus she can handle the cold well, it's a blessing in disguise.

"I know it was a horrible moment but forget it, it's useless, in the family you always have bad and good people, you don't choose your entourage but you can ignore them, she reassures me by putting a hand on my shoulder

Well, Amina is in a philosophical mood this morning. I like it, at least one of us to be optimistic.

"Oh great Amina, your words were enough to restore peace to my soul," I replied with exaggeration.

To which she pretended to wave her hair.

" I know, I'm the best at comforting but seriously stop thinking about it "she said kindly

" Don't worry, I'm fine, Aunt Nafsa is going to Alaska in any case," she said.

"Oh really? I didn't know," she says, leaning back in her seat

No one knows, but Hahahahah, I'll take care of it, I'll pay for the shipping, one way.

" I've brought back lasagne today "she says quietly

I turn to her, that's good news.

"You brought me some ?" I ask hopefully.

She nods and shows me the box before putting it away, I'm already looking forward to it.

"Riaz made it, I don't like to admit it, but I think he can't even cook better than me," she says, grumbling

" But no, you don't cook as well as each other," I reassure her

"It's obvious that you don't know about brother-sister rivalry," she replies

Honestly, considering the number of times they've bickered about simple things I'd never do, I like the fact that I'm an only child and don't have to share my remote control with anyone.

We arrive at the school, what a beautiful sight! I have class with Mr. Krach in the morning.

" Today is your detention time ? " Amina asks me

"Yes, it's a fright today for me, I've never had detention and on top of that I've got my art option," I lament.

My best friend puts a hand on my shoulder as a sign of solidarity.

"Do you want me to wait for you?" she asks me

"No, it's okay, I'll manage on my own," I tell her.

Amina's parents don't like it when she comes home late, so I'd rather she didn't get yelled at because of me.

"My lasagne will motivate you," she says.

I nod and the bell rings, we'll see you in the cafeteria and it's off to history hour, plus we're on the cold war and how can I tell you that I haven't really been listening since the beginning, I'm going to ace the test and my mother is going to get out her beloved kitchen roll as a congratulation.