The Key

Chapter 9 -
The Key

Knock! Knock!

"Who is it?"

"Will you let me in if I answer you?"
Adrian sat up instantly. "Go away Niharika. I am not ready to handle your mood swings." He huffed

There was silence. he heard some muffled voice through the door

"What?" he asked

"Open the door and I'll tell you what?"

"Go away"

Again there was silence. He eased out of his bed and pressed his ear to the door. He heard some hushed voice. And then ..

"He's being an arrogant jerk. Why should I?"

"You're just giving me more reason's to not open this door." he couldn't help but yell.

"Fine. I am going. If you all want then go ahead and apologise." when he heard footsteps fade, he opened the door to find Justin, Merlin and Aidan standing there their hands folded and glaring at him.

"What?" he said defensively

"Cut her some slack. She came here to apologise. And you couldn't just open the door." Merlin said her hands on her hips , an eyebrow cocked up and foot tapping impatiently.

Oh he knew that pose. It was what she did every time she disapproved of something Adrian did. Adrian was close to his sister. Even if she was annoying, he appreciated that his sister was there whenever he needed her.

But what he didn't appreciate was what she did next. Before he knew it, he was pushed into the room by Aidan. And a click proved that they locked him in his own room.

He was angry at his friends and his sister. He sat there thinking of ways to kill all of them. His door opened a second time.

"What the- Mer" Niharika stumbled inside the room.

click

Neha fell down on her butt, inside the room. She got up, walked towards the door and turned the knob to find it locked.
"Mer , open the goddamn door." she was literally pounding with her fists.

"Nope"

Neha sat on Merlin's bed.

"Until you guys don't resolve this, the door won't open." Justin yelled

"All the best" Aidan said.

"Just don't kill each other. I love my brother, Neha." Merlin said. He could hear them laughing loudly.

Does his sister think that he was scared of her best friend. No way.

He just glared at the door. But it was useless. So he turned to Niharika and kept glaring at her.

Her back was facing him.
"I can feel you glaring daggers at me. Stop that."

He didn't.

She turned and sat on Merlin's bed. She was looking at him, her head tilted at one side as if she was trying to understand him.

He suddenly felt self-conscious, so he crossed his arms across his chest as if that would guard him from her prying gaze. He walked towards his bed and sat down on the edge.

She sat there quietly. She averted her eyes from his and started studying the room.

When Adrian and Merlin had been told that they would share a room, they had sat down and discussed everything together.
The walls were light blue. Marble tiled flooring. The room was big enough to hold two single beds. Two walk-in closets opposite to the bed, Windows to the opposite side of the door, draped with velvet blue curtains. A single study table. Merlin never studied in the room. She always went to the library. Or their library room downstairs that was beside his father's study room. She needed complete silence when she studied. A bookshelf on the wall contained all his favourite books.
"Are you gonna talk or just sit there in silence?" Adrian said.