Go Back Home

Chapter 18 -
Go Back Home

She knew it all along. Merlin had known it all along. She felt like a fool telling her everything. Telling her that her brother liked her.

Love a girl that doesn't even like me back

She knew this would happen someday. She all but couldn't bring it in herself to hate her best friend. Merlin had been there for her, every time she needed.

And she could understand, after all, Adrian was her brother.

But what are you angry about? Her conscience asked her.

Maybe because he fell in love with me.
Or maybe because I am too damaged to love him back.
Or maybe because I hurt him

"I don't know." She whispered to the quiet room.

She had come here to have some peace. Instead coming here just brought more complications.

Without thinking she threw her doors opened and ran to Uncle Mike's room.

"Uncle Mike! You in there?" She said with a knock on his door.

"Come in honey"

She turned the doorknob. Michael was sitting on the bed papers scattered around.

"Umm.. what are you doing."

"I can't find this month's financial report. Your aunt will have my head on a platter, if I don't find it by evening."

"Aren't you the CEO?"

"Yeah. But still she'll have my head on a platter. How does Rubi even manage these many papers?" He said gripping his hair in fists.

"Who's Rubi?"

"My assistant."

"Oh" Neha bent down and retrieved the few papers that had fallen under the bed.

"Maybe it's among these." She handed him the papers.

He took the papers from her, went through them and clutched them to his chest.

"You area na angel." He said. "Tell me what do you want? "

"I" she gulped. Looked down and shuffled her feet. "I think it's time to go home."

She waited for him to say something.

She lifted her head up to see him watch her with a curious gaze.

"What happened?"

"My college is starting in a week. Plus it's time I go home. Mom and dad have taken this fight to far. Guess I need to step in. I just wasn't ready before." She tok a deep breath. "Ready to fight for myself" she let out

Mike just smiled. "Call out for me when you're teady to leave."

She smiled at him and ran upstairs to her room only to find Adrian there, his head rested on the door, his palms flat on the door. His stance... defeated. The sight of him hurt her. But she had to let him go.... for now.

She had her own demons to face.
Even if it meant that she had to hurt him. Better now than later.

"C'mon Niharika. Open the door." He slapped his hand on the door. "I didn't mean to say it. I know it's a little fast for you. But we can take it slow, yes? You like me, don't you? Atleast don't shut me out." His voice cracked at the last word.

Tears pooled in her eyes. She never cried. But something about Adrian, pulled her close, made her want to reach out for him and be there for him. But she'd hurt him enough.

"Adrian" she said. He lifted his head and looked at the door as if he could see her through the opaque door.

She stepped behind him. "Let it go. Please."

He whirled around so fast she thought he might get a whiplash.

Before she knew it she was encased in his embrace. So tight. So full of emotions, it melted her.
"I am sorry"

She let her arms wound around his shoulders.

"You've nothing to be sorry about. I am sorry. For everything. But, I'll make it right. You need to let go. Let go of this attraction. You think you love me, but you don't. In a month or so you'll feel you made a mistake, you'll come back to your senses and you might realize that this isn't what you want. Let me go."

"Please don't. Don't tell me what I feel." Anger radiated off of him. But he didn't let her go. Instead he just tightened his grip on her, as if she would disappear if he let go.

But that's what you are going to do

She shut down the voices in her head and melted in his embrace.

"You don't know what I feel. You don't understand any of it. I just - I can't let you go. If I do. You'll just.." he trailed off and buried his face in her hair.

"But I have to go. Go back."

The first sob that wracked his body, brought Niharika down to her knees.

"This is not fair." She whispered. She combed her fingers through his hair and he seemed to calm down.

"I am not worthy of love. I don't know how to love. Forget about love, I don't know what to feel. You make me feel things I haven't felt ever. It scares me, Adrian. You scare the hell out of me. And you mess up my control. I am not ready for any of this. I don't think I'll ever be. Let me go before it's too late. I am doing this for you. For me. For both of us."

Adrian lifted his head and looked into her eyes. He cupped her face.

"I am sorry." He said.

He wiped her tears with a thumb. Until then she didn't even know she was crying.

"Traitorous Tear" she said nd he gave out a small laugh.

"You'll be alright. You'll find some other girl, you'll fall in love with her. A girl who's not damaged like me." Saying the words hurt her. She didn't want him to find someone else, but it was better if he did. She'd only bring hurt.

He gave out a bitter laughter
"How am I supposed to love someone else when my heart belongs to-" she didn't let him complete. She would shatter if he did

She pushed on her toes and met his lips. She poured all of her in that one kiss. Adrian didn't miss a beat, he held her face and kissed the hell out of her.

Desperation, anger, pain, she could taste all of it. But mostly she felt the love. Tears rolled down her cheek. She tasted the salty tears but couldn't figure out whose tears. They both were crying and it hurt her to make him cry. But she couldn't risk her heart.

A goodbye kiss was what this was. Their lips against each other, she couldn't help but smile.

One kiss was what had initiated this between them. And with one kiss she was ending everything with him.

Though one thing was sure. Staying here helped her get back to her sense. She needed all of her strength to straighten out this problem of hers, her parents. Adrian gave her a strength to fight for herself.

With a light push she broke their kiss, and stepped out of his embrace.

"Goodbye Adrian." She whispered.

And slipped inside the door, into the room to pack her bags.

It was time to go back home.

♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥

Vote. Comment. Share

-Nami