Chapter 4

And so, they'd kept in touch, evolving in an abnormal rate, although once he was in high school, their soccer coach almost crushed Yoichi's ego had it not been for Rin and the vow he's made to Sae as a constant reminder not to back down. However, his entitlement  resulted in him getting benched most of the time, only allowed in the field in critical moments, since he was too eccentric in his play and didn't have ethical players' ideals . 

It was after their match against each other when they received an invitation from the JFU, to join the blue lock program. Both were placed in team V, easily clearing the stages, naturally teaming up for the third selection, Aryu joining them as he was the third to arrive. 

"Now who should we pick" Aryu mused, bringing his two middle fingers to his forehead, upon hearing their winning announcement. 

"i don't care, it won't make any difference." Rin shrugged, shifting his attention to Yoichi who seemed to actually give it a little thinking, untying his hair as it gave him headache. 

"i think the dribbler would be the perfect addition to our individual skills" Yoichi said,  

Aryu hummed in agreement, "what a coincidence, I want him too", he said, twirling a strand of hair around his finger, he then turned to face bachira, motioning with his index finger for him to come, "join us, bachira meguru" he ordered.  

The team members exited through the gate, moving to the next stage, leaving a defeated white-haired boy with a purple one. 

Yoichi and Rin headed to the upgraded training spot, where they'd do their usual practice, as Yoichi struggled to tie his uncustomary long hair once again. 

"Give it to me" Rin demanded, extending his hand next to the boy to receive the hair tie, implying that refusing was not an option. The other just huffed, and released his blue strands, accepting Rin's offer. He slowly grabbed the wisps falling on his face pulling them up, and started, "i thought you disliked long hair." 

"I thought I'd go for a change" he claimed. "Why? Do I look bad? He asked, jerking away from the other's grasp, as he faced Rin, who wore a what kind of stupid question is that kind of face.  he pulled his hair to turn him around again, "You look as lukewarm as always" he muttered.  

Yoichi chuckled, "does lukewarm work in every context?" 

"When it comes to you yes." he said as he finally fixed the ponytail, with two strands that refused to grow, dangling on his forehead, He looked cute , but it wasn't all there's to it. It was the reason that had him grow out his hair that bothered him, deep down, he knew what it was, but he refused to acknowledge it, hoping that Yoichi would never confirm his theory, that it was a simple hypothesis that will eventually downgrade to a false one.  

"Am I interrupting something?" A voice came from the entrance, he recognized the owner as the bob cut boy, the one they chose for clearing the stage, he also was in team V. 

Yoichi turned to his direction, "no, not at all" he smiled, "actually, come join us train, your dribbling is amazing!" he exclaimed,  

Rin was totally unwelcoming of the idea, but didn't want to look unfriendly, so he kept his best blank expression. 

"Bachira, was it?" Yoichi asked,  

"yep, iisagi" he enthusiastically answered, "and Rin-chan!" Rin scowled, he hated honorifics, and people, and bobcuts. 

"I'll go practice shooting" he said as he dismissed himself, to which Yoichi blurted an "okay", more to the yellow teen beside him than to Rin who was out of sight in a blink of an eye. 

He's poured all his energy into perfecting his already flawless shots, only stopping when Yoichi came looking for him, so he'd join him for dinner, and of course bob cut was also there. Did they become best friends overnight? He wondered as the two chatted in front of him, talking about some monster he had inside of him, and telling Rin that he looked blue while playing, whatever that meant. The boy was annoying, he talked too much, not that Yoichi himself doesn't but he's gotten used to it, besides this weirdo only spoke nonsense, unlike Yoichi, who was too nice to call him out on that.