CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR

*****************

"Lee Naeun?"

When the man called her name, Naeun took a deep breath before answering. "Yes, Jaehyun-sshi?" When she realized, she was talking to him from behind the room divider, she quickly apologized. "Ah, I'm sorry I can't face you right now... I'm... you know..."

"Yes, you don't have to face me directly now. You're wearing the wedding dress, aren't you?"

"O-oh. Yes, that's right."

"It's okay. It will be a surprise for all of us later. We don't want to ruin it, right?"

"Y-yes."

Then, silence filled the air. Naeun almost had the urge to take a peek behind the divider to see if Jaehyun was still there or not—

"Naeun-ah."

"I don't know what exactly is that disturbs you this time... Are you having another hard time with the public? Or... is there anyone bothering you? Am I making a mistake? Or is it anything else?"

"..."

"If it's really me who makes you feel that way... I'm sorry."

Behind the divider, on the other side of the room, the Crown Prince was standing straight on his feet, staring at the room divider that separated him from his fiancée. Jaehyun didn't exactly even know what kind of mistake he had to apologize for. He didn't know what was the reason Naeun was avoiding him these days. But whatever it was, he wanted to apologize. He just wanted to make Naeun feel better in any way possible.

"And if it's not clear to you yet, I'm..." He cleared his throat. "I'm trying, and I will do my best to be a good husband to you. I'll keep you safe no matter what and I want to make you happy. So, if you have any trouble... please come to me first."

"......"

"Naeun? Are you still listening?"

Naeun could feel the tears pooling on the corner of her eyes. She was holding herself back to not leave out a sob, and quickly erased a falling tear on her cheek with the back of her hand. "I... I am listening to you. I'm just processing things." It came out in such a low voice, but she made sure it could be heard by him. "I'll also... try to be a good wife to you, Jaehyun-sshi."

Oh Lord, if only I'm not in this wedding gown... I want to see him...

For the last couple of days, Naeun had been battling with her own thoughts. The fact that he had someone else he loves, the fact that she might be the reason why he couldn't love her, the fact that he would possibly marry Naeun solely because of his duty... even of it was slightly different, Jaehyun's words comforted her. It made Naeun feel like she had another hope.

At least... he was trying.

"Jaehyun-sshi. Can you truly love me?"

Her voice could faintly be heard from behind the room divider, but Jaehyun heard it clearly.

The man smiled; he knew the answer even before. He closed hie eyes before answering. "What kind of a good husband who doesn't love his wife? As I told you before, I'm trying and I'll do my best to be a good one for you."

Naeun remained silent, processing his words inside her head.

"I have something for you on the round table inside the room. I hope you like it." Jaehyun told her before he continued, "I can't wait to see you at the wedding. Good evening, Naeun-ah." Jaehyun then opened the door to leave the room.