18

"Olivia, Elliot, can I speak to you for a moment?" Dr. Camden approached them outside the room Noah was sitting in.

"Is everything okay?" Olivia breathed, her mind immediately picking worst-case scenarios.

Elliot let his hand rest on the small of her back. Her body relaxed to his touch as her tired eyes focused on the doctor in front of her.

"Noah doesn't appear to be suicidal or have any thoughts of self-harming," Dr. Camden spoke, "however, your son has experienced severe trauma over the last several days. I'm going to recommend a therapist in New York for him to see. She specializes in children who experience trauma, but I recommend you give him a few weeks to settle back in at home before introducing therapy to him, okay?"

"Okay, other than therapy as an intervention, is there anything else he needs?" Olivia questioned.

"Just you. It's clear to me you're a constant, the constant, in Noah's life. I suggest you stay close by for his transition back home."

Olivia nodded, rocking on her heel.

"Can we take him home?" Elliot questioned, filling the thick silence.

"Yes, I'm going to get his discharge papers in order and bring them by to be signed. We'll have you out of here in the next hour."

"Thank you," Elliot nodded, rubbing his hand on Olivia's back.

"Yes, thank you," Olivia said numbly.

Dr. Camden made his way toward the nurse's station on the other side of the room while Elliot moved to stand in front of Olivia. She felt his hands rest on her shoulders, but couldn't pull herself to look him in the eyes. She kept her head forward, letting her eyes focus on his chest.

"Livvie, look at me," Elliot coaxed, tilting her head up with his fingers.

"El, please," Olivia closed her eyes.

"Liv."

His deep voice was soft. She'd only ever heard him use the tone with victims and his daughters, but she'd never been privy to his extra soft tone. She opened her eyes, letting the tears slip down her cheeks.

"Olivia, it's going to be okay. It might not be easy or a linear line, but we're going to be able to handle this."

Olivia sucked in a deep breath.

"I just want to get him home," Olivia sighed, letting her head rest against his chest.

Elliot wrapped his arms around Olivia's shoulders, holding her tight against his chest.

"Then home is where we'll go, first thing," Elliot consoled, holding Olivia to his chest.

"Okay," Olivia sniffled, wiping her tears and letting Elliot hug her tightly until she regulated herself.

///

Elliot drove the trio home and by the time they reached New York, both of his passengers were fast asleep. Olivia had curled up in the passenger seat, her torso leaned over the centre console, her head resting on Elliot's shoulder. Noah had twisted himself to have his head against the door, using Elliot's hoodie as a pillow, and his legs were curled up on the seat beside him. Elliot parked the SUV and gently caressed Olivia's face until her brown eyes fluttered open.

"Hey, we're home," Elliot coaxed softly.

"Mmhm," Olivia hummed before letting out a silent yawn.

"Do you want to wake him, or should I carry him up?" Elliot questioned, looking in the rearview to confirm Noah was still asleep.