23

Olivia leaned against the driver's side door of her SUV and waited patiently for Elliot to show up. Carl was already inside with his wife, but hadn't been told what was happening yet.

"Liv? What's happening?" Elliot asked as he parked his vehicle and hurried to where his girlfriend stood. Olivia reached out and caressed his prickly cheek for a moment before leaning close and kissing his lips.

"I love you and am here for you no matter what," Olivia spoke gently.

"I'm so confused. What's happening?" Elliot demanded. The front door opened and Maureen called their names.

"Let's go inside and you will find out everything. Okay?"

"O-okay."

Once inside Maureen's house, Elliot and Carl sat side by side as Olivia stood and kept an arm wrapped around Maureen's waist as her legs turned to jelly.

"So Olivia joined me today for a mammogram."

"Aren't you too young to get one?" Elliot asked, completely confused.

"Not really, Daddy. But that isn't the issue... They found a tumor on my breast, and they think it's cancer," Maureen explained, her voice shaking as she leaned heavily on her father's girlfriend.

Elliot stood slowly, tears burning his blue eyes. As he stood and stared at Maureen, he couldn't believe that his little girl had cancer. That the little girl he watched grow into a beautiful young woman was now going to be fighting for her life. Then his shock and sadness turned to anger as he moved his eyes to Olivia's face.

"You knew all along?" Elliot spat, his hands balling into fists.

"El-"

"You didn't fucking tell me that my daughter might have cancer?!" Elliot yelled.

"Daddy, please!" Maureen cried, but Elliot wasn't paying attention to her.

"How dare you keep this from me?! I thought we were in this relationship together!" Elliot screamed. Olivia took a slow breath as tears burned her eyes.

"I didn't want anyone to know until after the scan! And she said she couldn't tell you because it's my news. Dad-"

"Get the fuck out and leave my family alone!"

///

Olivia stumbled into her apartment and let her sitter go home. The moment that the front door closed, and she locked it, Olivia let out a silent sob and slipped to the floor. She couldn't believe that Elliot would treat her like that, especially after everything they have gone through together.

"Mom? Elliot?" Noah yawned, as he came out of his bedroom and wandered down the hall. Olivia quickly brushed tears from her cheeks before trying to push herself up.

"N-noah, go back to bed," Olivia sniffled.

"Mom? Why are you crying? What's wrong?" Noah asked, as he grew more awake by the second. He stopped in front of his mother and gently placed his small hands to her tear soaked cheeks. Noah's eyes were wide with concern for his mother, especially after everything she had gone through in the last year.

"I'm fine, baby. Please go back to bed. It's late," Olivia sniffled.

"No, I'm not leaving you when you are this upset. So please, tell me what's wrong!" Noah exclaimed. Olivia closed her eyes tightly before opening them again and locking eyes with her little boy.

"Elliot and I broke up."

"W-what? Mom!"

"He got angry at me and doesn't want me around. I'm so sorry that I caused him to leave, because I know how much you love him. Noah-"

"It'll be okay, Mom. He loves us and won't leave us... Maybe he's just stressed out!" Noah exclaimed, trying to make everything better. Olivia shook her head and pulled her son onto her lap. She held him close and rocked their bodies back and forth.

"I'm so sorry, Noah. I'm the worst."

///

Elliot slowly walked from his grandsons' room and shut the door tightly behind him. As he headed to the stairs, he heard Carl and Maureen discussing what was happening next.

"They want to review the results closer and then decide. It sounds like chemo and radiation are more than likely going to happen. I may also get the tumor removed. There is just a lot happening and I can't remember exactly what the plan is at the moment," Maureen explained with a weak sigh.

"We will help however we can," Elliot spoke, his voice still thick from crying earlier.

"No, you won't be helping until you make up with Olivia," Maureen replied, as she leaned into her husband's side. Carl held her close and placed gentle kisses on her blonde locks.

"Mo-" Elliot started, but Maureen refused to listen to him.

"Olivia has been my rock through this all. She was there when they found the lump and has checked up on me daily. Which is a lot more than you check up on me," Maureen snapped.

"Hey-"

"No! You got so angry at Olivia keeping this from you when I told her to! We didn't want to jump the gun and find out that I was actually perfectly fine. So go home and apologize!" Maureen exclaimed.

"I'm not going to apologize to her after she kept this all from me. You are my child and she is acting like she has the right to keep your medical scare from me. So I'll go home, but not to her."

Elliot walked from the house and slammed the door behind him. The moment he climbed into his vehicle, his phone was ringing. He thought it was Maureen calling to apologize to him instead of coming out and saying it to his face, but instead it was Olivia's cell.

"I don't want to talk to you. So don't call me again-"

"You made her cry! After everything she's been through, you made everything so much worse!" Noah yelled into the phone. Elliot's eyes went wide as he stared at the garage through his windshield.

"Noah, this is none of your business. Just like I said to your mother, don't call me. Leave my family alone because we are going through yet another horrible thing. Your life has been incredibly easy compared to ours," Elliot huffed.