chapter 38 - waffles and gardening

It was early in the morning when Cara woke up. the first light was not even shining though the window yet but she was wide awake. She was ready to start the day she thought, she carefully lifted kaz's arm from her body and made her way out of bed.

as quietly as she could she changed into a comfortable outfit and went downstairs. She made her way to the kitchen where she started making waffles, she remembered a recipe that her mother had taught her. it included mashed potatoes into the waffle batter so they would stay soft and fresh for longer.

making the waffle batter took her around 30 minutes, the kitchen was equipped with 2 waffle irons so making the waffles themselves did not take that long. She was almost done making them when she heard a familiar cane on the stairs.

she turned to look at kaz as he entered the kitchen. He was handsome as ever, dressed in a dark shirt and long pants. His hair was messy but he looked surprisingly fresh. Cara put some waffles on a plate and picked up the bowl of cut fruit as well as some sugar and utensils. She walked over to kaz who had now taken a seat at the table.

"good morning kaz" he looked up at her, she could see he was still waking up. being in a bit of a bad mood, she never took him for a morning person anyway. She placed a soft kiss on the top of his head after putting everything in front of him. he gave her a thankful nod.

Cara went back to her waffle iron and finished all the waffle batter, leaving her with a stack of easily 50 more waffles. she made herself a plate and joined kaz at the table. "I have to go to ketterdam today for a few hours love, sorry I told you I would have the whole day for you but there is a situation at the crow club that requires my attention." Cara frowned. "it's alright kaz, to be honest I never expected you to be a stay at home gang leader."

Kaz shook his head slightly. When Cara was done she stood up and took her plate back to the kitchen to wash, once she was done with that she made 6 packets of 5 waffles each for kaz to take with him to ketterdam. One for him and then one for each other crow.

once she was done packaging she felt an arm around her waist. "I could wake up to this every morning" his voice was still deep and raspy from sleep, he placed a kiss to her temple. She put the packages into a bag and handed it to him.

"oh, there will be some dregs brining more supplies for building the stable today, that one is all mapped out already. They will start building it tomorrow and it should take around 2 weeks for them to finish it." Cara nodded at him.

She was already deep in thought for what she would do today. Kaz saw this. "don't do to much today love, enjoy life a little." Cara scoffed. "says the bastard of the barrel who is always working." Kaz smirked.

He wrapped his arms around her waist and kissed her. when he pulled back Cara could see so many emotions in the boys eyes. Kaz was proud of himself to be able to kiss the woman he loved, he was happy with his life right now.

he let go of her and put on his coat and hat, taking the bag filled with waffles and swinging it around his shoulder. He smiled at her once more when he walked to the door. "I love you Cara' he said. Cara smirked at him. "and I love you kaz brekker."

After the door closed Cara cleaned up the rest of the kitchen, putting the remaining waffles in a box to keep them fresh. She had decided she would make a small field and plant some herbs there so she could have fresh herbs to make medicine with.

so she went to the market of ketterdam to gather everything she needed, she did not spot any of the crows while she was there and made her way back to the house quickly. She had gotten everything she needed from farming tools to seeds.

She started by outlining the field. She put little poles in the ground to outline a 5x5 meter field. Then she started cultivating the ground and spreading some minerals to make the ground better for planting. After she was done preparing the field she started planning the herbs.

it was early afternoon when she was done with that, she watered them all with water from the small stream nearby. When she was done she put her hands on her hips, proud of her work. These would grow in the coming weeks. From the looks of the supply she had left of them she would not need to buy any more herbs because by the time her supply would run out these ones would be grown.

she was covered in dirt from head to toe so she went inside to take a shower. Once she was all clean she didn't know what else to do. But man did she miss to just sit in bad reading a book ... it might have seemed weird but honestly she didn't care, this was her house after all she could do whatever she wanted.

so she ran the water of the bath while she went downstairs in a towel to quickly pick out a book she would like to read. She looked at a few books and decided on one where there was a dog on the cover of it in the end. She went back upstairs and saw the bath was half full. That was enough for now she decided as she could fill it more with warm water if she didn't feel to get out just yet after the water would get cold.

so she got into the bath and started reading her book she let out a deep sign. 'this was the life' she thought. She did not know how much time passed, she had run some more hot water into the tub to warm up the water twice already, she was close to finishing the book by now.

however the book didn't have the ending she had thought as tears streamed down her face, she could get pulled into a book so badly that she could get really emotional over it and this was one of those cases. She sniffled a few times until suddenly she heard a knock at the door scaring the living crap out of her. "Cara are you alright in there??" a very worried deep voice called out.

Cara was in a daze of shock and didn't manage to respond right away sniffling again instead. The door flung open and in stepped a worried looking kaz. he immediately examined her for any wounds or damage, she felt his eyes on her body and her ears turned red.

"kaz I am fine, I was just reading a book." Kaz wasn't convinced and tilted his head slightly in confusion. "kaz it was so sad, this girl found a dog in the wild, and they became best friends and went on an adventure and everything and then the girl got attacked and the dog saved her but got shot and died!" Cara threw the book on the ground. Kaz released a breath he didn't know he was holding. Only now it deemed on him that he could fully see Cara's body and his cheeks turned a shade of pink.

"okay ... uuum ... sorry for interrupting your ... I will ... uuum ... go make dinner." He hurried outside as Cara let out a giggle forgetting her earlier emotions over a fictional dog. She made her way out of the bath and put on a new outfit.

By the time she went downstairs she could already smell the food from the kitchen. She put the book back in the book shelve and then made her way over to the kichen. "I didn't know you could cook." Cara said as she entered the kitchen.

Kaz was standing with his back towards her but turned his head in her direction briefly to glare at her. "I can survive on my own. Cooking is one part of that." Cara smirked.

when they were eating dinner Cara was pleasantly surprised, the had thought she would need at least 3 more spices to make the dish eatable but it was surprisingly tasty. Kaz could see her surprised expression and smirked.

"so how was ketterdam?" Kaz frowned. "I let jesper in charge for the crow club for one day and our profits dropped by 20%, remind me to never let him in charge again." Cara laughed. "why did you let him be in charge in the first place kaz, that was a terrible idea." Kaz glared at her for a moment until he signed. "yea you're right."

"I saw the field outside, I told you to take it easy. Creating a whole field and cultivating the ground is not 'taking it easy'." Cara smirked. "I also planted it already." Kaz rolled his eyes. "of course you did."

"I did not see the dregs though" she said. "you were probably in your bath while they came by then because they delivered most of the building supplies already." Cara lifted her head and looked outside the window. Indeed there was now a huge pile of supplies where there was none before the ran the bath.

"I did in fact not hear them deliver it, but I am glad they will build the stable soon, that means I can be reunited with my horses." Kaz nodded. Cara stood up and took both their plates to wash them. Kaz took out a stack of papers from seemingly nowhere and started examining them.

it took Cara a few minutes to wash the plates and then she walked back over to kaz, standing behind him looking over his shoulder she could see it was building papers, he was making sure he got everything covered she thought.

She placed a hand on each one of his shoulders and gave them a squeeze. "kaz the muscles of your shoulders and neck are like bricks, you need less stress in your life." Kaz chuckled. "not possible love." Cara started slowly massaging his shoulders, trying to push out the tensity from his muscles.

at first he grumbled something that Cara couldn't quite understand but after a few minutes he released a deep sign. "hmmm, that's nice love" Cara giggled. "I can do your whole back if you like kaz." He turned his head slightly so he could glance at her sideways. Not being sure about it.

"you can tell me to stop whenever you feel uncomfortable I promise." He grumbled again but after a few seconds he stood up. "alright" he simply said. He put his gloved hand on her cheek and leaned in to kiss her but she pulled back before he could. And walked over to the doorway. "come on sir, follow me please." Kaz rolled his eyes but followed her orders as he followed her to the room at the back of the hallway.

it was nice and warm in the whole house as the fireplace had been burning for a while now. Once they entered the room at the back Kaz took a seat on her table. "remove your shirt please sir." Kaz glared at her for a moment but then removed his shirt and placed it next to him.

Cara took his shirt and placed it on her chair next to her desk. She took a bottle with a clear liquid inside and placed it on a little table next to her 'patient'. He still sat on the bed looking at her and when she got closed enough he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her between his legs.

"you know, I don't like being denied a kiss." He grumbled in a low voice to her. Cara giggled as he pressed a kiss to her lips. She pulled back first. "now that was very inappropriate sir, please lay down on the table facing down. She placed a pillow on the table where he could put his head on and gave him a moment to follow her 'order'.

He glared at her for the slightest moment but followed her orders soon after. She took the bottle and put some of the liquid in her hands, rubbing her hands together to heat up the oil before applying it to his back and shoulders.

she could feel him tense up slightly. "kaz I am serious tell me to stop when it gets uncomfortable." She got no response from the man so she started working on his back. Doing the same as she did with his shoulders a few moments ago but applying more pressure. One side of his back was worse than the other possibly due to his limp she thought.

she could feel him slowly relax under her hands and as she would work his muscles she could hear him release a few signs. He had his eyes closed. She knew she wouldn't be able to get his muscles fully relaxed by just massaging him once so once his back started turning slightly red from the pressure being applied she stopped and went to his shoulders instead.

Doing the same there earned her a few more deep signs from him, every time he would sign it brought a smile to Cara's face knowing she was doing something that would help improve his quality of life. And she really did not mind giving him a massage, it gave her a reason to stare at his well-toned back without him smirking at her for it.

once she was satisfied with his shoulders as well she took a tower and ran it over his back and shoulders, removing the oil. Once she put the towel away she could sense him sitting up behind her and before she knew it good and well she was in his arms again between his legs. "thank you love." He whispered to her.

the leather of his gloves were cold but Cara didn't mind. He kissed her on her forehead as they made eye contact for a moment, no words needed to be said as they understood each other without them. the adoration in his eyes was very clear. He let go of her when she turned to give him his shirt back.

he gladly took it from her and put it on again. when he got off the table and walked in front of her back to the library she could see even his limp had improved a little, she smiled to herself as he rolled his shoulders.

They spend the evening together in the library, kaz in his armchair while Cara sat on the couch. She didn't mind him being in the arm chair as she realized they had put his trauma to the test this evening, he knew best what he could and couldn't do.

She enjoyed his company nonetheless and smirked when he would frown at the book he was reading. She did not know what life would have I store for them but one thing she was sure of, if they were together she was ready to fight the whole world for him.

AN: this is a little bit of a filler chapter while i made up my mind on how to continue the story. i have some things in mind, a few more 'adventures'. i just have to figure out a way to get them written into the story. i am still very open to suggestions if there is anything specific you guys would like to see them go through. oh also, if kaz would ever buy himself a dog what dog breed do you guys think would fit him?