bonus chapter: a look into the future

"daddy daddy!" kaz heard little footsteps storming down the stairs as he recognized jordie's voice. He looked up from the paper he was reading and even Cara and Felix looked up from the book they were reading on the couch when Jordie stormed into the library. "dad! I am ready for my riding lesson!" the little boy ran over to his dad who stood up from his desk.

"yes yes I am coming, you can go and tell ben to tack up elvis already." The little boy happily ran off towards the front door while kaz walked over to his wife. "don't be to harsh on him" Cara said quietly to her husband. Kaz scoffed. "I won't be harsh if he sits up straight." Cara stood up leaving felix with the book they were reading together.

she stood in front of kaz now. "dear husband I know you have a soft spot for our boys. And you know Jordie is a natural rider just as well as I do. He is only 6 and is already galloping and doing exercises like an expert" Cara smiled at him and pressed her lips to his. "you are absolutely right love however I have a reputation of 'strict father' to uphold." He smirked when he said that. Cara shook her head while she smiled.

"come on felix, lets go to the field." Felix's eyes lit up as he quickly put down the book and went to get his boots. While Jordie was more of a practical guy wanting to ride the horses and help peter in the smithy felix was more of a knowledge person, he loved helping his mother with the herbs and books and his father with the paperwork. He had his way with numbers and was a natural when it came to math.

when Cara walked outside with felix she saw kaz and Jordie in the outside arena, kaz stood in the middle and pointed to some spots in the arena to make an exercise for Jordie to do with elvis. She could hear his comments while she walked with felix to the field. "sit up straight! use your legs and seat instead of your reins! Don't be to harsh on his mouth!" Cara giggled. She knew kaz was loving teaching his son horse riding.

just like she loved telling felix all about the different herbs and plants. "see this one love? For this one we use the leaves when they are lush and green. You know they are ready when they feel squishy. We cut them here so the plant can recover and grow new leaves." Felix was listening intensely and did exactly what his mother told him.

----------------

as much as they both loved spending time with their kids kaz and Cara both liked some time alone as well. They had made a deal with the other crows for babysitting one or two days a week so they could get some actual work done. The crows loved to babysit the little boys, especially nina. When inej was in town she always brought gifts and toys from other lands and told the boys all the stories she would gather on her trips.

jesper and wylan loved spending time with the boys as well. Felix loved to learn about all the sorts of bombs and powders from wylan while Jordie was fascinated by the guns of the sharpshooter. And while the crows babysat the boys Cara and kaz also liked to sometimes go back to their spot on the beach where they could spend hours watching the ocean and talking to each other.

kaz's trauma had not been holding him back anymore for the last few years, true he still had some bad days where he was very sensitive but he would communicate this with Cara and she would make sure the boys left their father alone and keep their distance while kaz got himself together. They still had their intimate moments as well but this time they made sure that no more children would come of it. As much as they both loved their boys 2 children was enough for them both as they agreed.

--------------------

it was years later in the winter when uncle peter died. The boys were 15 at the time and mourned together with their parents. It was especially hard on Jordie who had spend the most time with the old man. They had buried him on a nice spot not to far from the clearing so they could bring flowers to the grave without needing to go to far from home. Jordie took it upon himself to continue along with the smithy while also helping ben ride the horses.

meanwhile kaz had expended the dregs trading empire enough for it to bring in a very generous stable income. Felix liked to help his dad and go with him to ketterdam to attend the meetings and help with the paperwork. At first kaz had not wanted him to but when he saw how hard the boy tried to help him he had caved and taken the boy with him to ketterdam.

------------

one night when Jordie and Cara were sitting outside on the porch waiting for kaz and felix to get back from ketterdam a new family member had joined the clearing. Cara had laughed out loud when she saw the expression kaz had on his face once he put came to stand in front of her with the puppy in his arms. "felix wouldn't leave him so I had to bring him to make sure our son would come back home with me." That just made Cara laugh louder while both felix and Jordie were petting the puppy in their fathers arms.

Kaz put the puppy down and sat down in the chair next to his wife. Cara spoke up. "you are just one big softie." She smirked at him while kaz glared at her. "what can I say, you made me into one. So this is your fault" Cara playfully smacked his shoulder. "so what are we calling the little one?"

"shadow." Felix said. "because I just saw a shadow in the alley before I actually saw him" Jordie immediately agreed and so shadow joined their family. Shadow the rottweiler.

------------20 years later------------

it was a hot summer day when Kaz and Cara sat on the porch. They liked to hold each other's hand in between them. they both looked over their family. Their dogs both laid in front of them. shadow had been their first dog and Cara had seen how kaz fell in love with the dog so when shadow sadly passed away a few weeks later they had coincidentally surprised each other with a new puppy.

kaz had gotten Cara a black german sheperd which she had named 'onyx' while Cara had surprised kaz with a Doberman puppy which he had named 'dog'.

Jordie had moved into peter's old house and had married a beautiful wife named Hannah. They were expecting a baby together. Kaz would never admit it to anybody but adding another title to himself, the title of grandpa, excited him. meanwhile Felix had chosen to live in the slat in ketterdam where he took over most of the work in ketterdam.

this meant that kaz had a lot less work than before and he used this time to take Cara our for long rides and just spend a lot of time together with her in general.

as the couple looked over the clearing they glanced over at one another. Kaz had the first hints of grey hear btu that did not make him any less handsome. Cara smiled at him and leaned over to press a kiss to her husband's lips.

"what was that for?" kaz spoke. Cara shrugged. "do I need a reason to kiss my husband?" Kaz smirked and shook his head no. Cara spoke softly. "I am glad i saved you back in that alley in ketterdam." Kaz turned to her but Cara spoke again before he could respond. "I know we had our ups and downs but I would do it all over again. I love you my dear husband." She saw the tips of his ears turn red slightly.

She smirked as she stood up, kaz standing up as well. She threw her hands around his neck and smashed her lips on his. "thank you kaz, for everything. For trusting me, for loving me, for giving me this wonderful life. . . I love you." she looked deeply into his blue eyes and all she could see was love and adoration.

"I love you to sweetheart."

AN: now I can say that this was it.

I know it is all over the place but I wanted to form a look into Cara's and kaz's future.

I would like to thank everybody that read my story. And a big thank you to the people who left so many votes on the chapters, you were the motivation hat kept me going and got me to finish this story.

I might take a little break but I am as of today (31/05/2023) still planning on writing another book with kaz brekker I have however not decided yet if I want to make it another OC book or a (Y/N) book.

lastly if you have any questions about this book or if you have any suggestions for the next book please let me know, comment on this chapter or send me a pm I love to hear your thoughts.