-XXI-

"You want to do what?"

"I'm returning to my kingdom where I will establish a new castle and capital."

The girls stared at Jennie in confusion, not understanding why she wanted to do something like that and if that was even possible. After they already almost died many times, only trying to reach Silla.

"Why?"

"For strategic advantages and symbolic representation. We will maintain a center of governance and show my kingdom that we have not fallen yet. I also already thought of the perfect village, a place with resources and the potential for growth."

They were still confused as they let go of their food. Since they were clearly asking for more clarification, the princess elaborated.

"After the city of Constantinople was captured by the Fourth Crusade, the Byzantine Empire was forced to establish a new capital in the city of Nicaea. Later, when Constantinople was recaptured, the Byzantine Empire returned its capital to its original location." She told them but they were still looking at her, perplexed.

"What I'm saying is, there are plenty of moments in history where a capital relocation made sense."

"???"

Jennie huffed out a sigh. "Imagine all the buckets of your favourite ice cream flavour get stolen. Instead of being sad and ice cream-less, you pick another delicious flavour to enjoy in the meantime. It might not be your absolute favourite but it still satisfies your ice cream cravings. Afterwards, when you're strong enough, you go on a mission to get back your favourite ice cream flavour."

"Oh!!!" The girls bobbed their heads, understanding.

With the help of the boys, they sought out a discreet boat and sailor that could take them across the sea without alerting the enemy kingdom. Under the cover of darkness, they made their way to the harbour where the boat was waiting.

After several days at sea, which were filled with nausea and bickering, the boat finally approached the shores of Jennie's kingdom.

The group travelled to the location of the princess' choice. An unnamed city near the Han River which served as a lifeline for the local community. The villagers rely on the river for fishing and transportation.

Fields of crops and gardens were everywhere. The narrow pathways wind through the village, inviting residents to engage in a close-knit communal life. It was still untouched from the conquerors.

By now Jennie's hair returned to its brown colour, almost completely. As soon as they stepped a foot into the village, the villagers immediately recognised her.

The villagers approached cautiously, their gazes filled with curiosity and uncertainty. They were eager to catch a glimpse of the princess who had been hidden away within the castle walls for so long. Since forever, Jennie was shielded from the political affairs of the kingdom by her late father.

The villagers heard tales of the princess but this was the first time they laid their eyes upon her. The rumours painted a picture of a young woman wanted by their enemy kingdoms but beyond that, she was an enigma.

Although the princess was unaccustomed to being in the public eye, she understood the importance of this moment. She stepped forward, her demeanour composed yet resolute. The villagers watched her every move, searching for signs of strength or leadership, maybe even malice.

"I stand before you today as Princess Jennie of Baekje. The time has come for me to step out from the shadow of the castle and embrace the responsibility that has been placed upon me. Our kingdom faces great challenges but together, we can overcome them."