-XXIII-

After months of tireless work, the castle stood tall and proud, resembling more of a fortress with each passing day. Lisa's inventive spirit seemed to know no bounds, as she constantly came up with new ideas to add to the castle's design and functionality. Towers were erected, walls fortified and secret passages concealed, turning the castle into an impressive stronghold.

Not only did their focus remain on the castle, but they also worked to expand their little village of Hanyang. New houses were built, markets flourished, more people flocked to the thriving community. The once-vulnerable kingdom began to regain its strength as soldiers were stationed in the recovered towns, ensuring the safety and prosperity of the land.

Amidst the bustling activities, Jennie sat on her throne, full of hope and longing. Every day, she anticipated a letter from Jisoo, yearning for any sign of her return or a message explaining her absence. The emptiness in her heart echoed with the void left by the raven's departure.

As she held a sealed envelope in her hands, her heart skipped a beat, hoping it was finally a letter from Jisoo. However, as she opened it, she discovered it was from the King of Goguryeo, accepting her long-standing request for a meeting.

Taking a deep breath, Jennie composed herself and set aside her personal yearnings. The weight of her responsibilities settled upon her shoulders as she prepared for the meeting with the King. She knew she had to remain steadfast and focused, putting her kingdom's needs above her own desires.

•••••

Jisoo moved through the dense forests with the grace of a shadow. Her steps were silent, her presence masked by the enveloping darkness. She became a ghost, haunting the lands that were once under the control of their conquerors. With every stolen supply, every sabotaged plan, she aimed to weaken their hold.

It was her way of still supporting and feeling connected to the princess.

Jisoo moved like a phantom, leaving behind a trail of confusion and frustration for their enemies. She carefully laid traps, disabling their machinery and infrastructure. She struck at the heart of their operations, crippling their ability to maintain control. The resistance grew stronger with each act of defiance, she could feel Jennie command her army forward.

If Jennie or her people noticed her doings, they probably thought it was a mishap on their conquerors side that weakened them from inside.

In the dead of night, as she hid in the shadows, Jisoo whispered words of love and devotion to the moon. She prayed that her actions would bring any kind of relief to the princess. She prayed she was well and healthy. And she prayed that one day, as if by magic, she could stand by Jennie's side.

One day Jisoo sat hidden within the depths of a cavern, her disguise blending seamlessly with the shadows, she strained her ears to listen. The cavern belonged to their conquerors, the Chinese and Silla forces, who used it as a hideout and meeting place. It was a risky move to eavesdrop on their conversations but any information she could gather here could be invaluable.

In the stillness of the cavern, the muffled sounds of footsteps echoed, accompanied by the slurred voices of soldiers. They stumbled into the cavern, their drunken laughter filling the air. Jisoo's heart quickened as she heard the soldiers discussing something of utmost importance, something that involved Jennie.

Cautiously, she shifted closer, careful not to make a sound that would betray his presence. The soldiers continued their conversation, their words laced with alcohol-induced brChaeyoungdo.

"Did you hear the news? The King of Goguryeo finally accepted Princess Jennie's request for a meeting."

"I heard whispers that the meeting is about an alliance against our Chinese overlords. Jennie wants to reclaim her kingdom's independence."