-XXVIII-

While Jennie and Jisoo focused on unravelling the mysteries within the cottage, Chaeyoung and Lisa were armed with the map of the vents in the castle. They roamed through the hidden passageways, seeking a way to gain access to the king's chamber from above.

As they explored, they encountered various obstacles, such as locked grates. Good thing it was nothing Lisa's mini drill couldn't break through.

Chaeyoung peered through a vent grate, assessing the room underneath them. "There it is, the king's chamber. There are more guards there than expected... More than twenty?"

They positioned themselves above the king's chamber, ready to jump down and confront the guards. Lisa carefully removed the grate, creating an opening for their descent, while Chaeyoung opened her waist bag, containing the herb mixture bomb she crafted with Lisa.

She threw the herb bomb into the room, releasing a cloud of aromatic smoke. The mixture contained Valerian root, lavender, chamomile, lemon balm and skullcap. It numbed the senses of those exposed to it.

Afterwards they jumped down and attacked them when they were caught off guard. Once knocked down, one by one, they faced the coughing King Seungri.

"You dare to intrude upon my chamber and lay hands on me?" The king spat, his voice filled with arrogance despite his weakened state. "You fools think you can challenge me, the ruler of Silla?"

The king threw his coat aside and showed off his new gear, widening their eyes. He was wearing some type of metal exoskeleton armour and put on a helmet.

"I stole this armour from the great inventor Nichkhun!" Seungri exclaimed proudly.

Lisa faltered, her eyes fixed on him, remembering a tale about the outside world her grandfather once told her.

He said he used to work for the royal family, gifting them with his services. But when he retired and wanted a quiet life, a man approached him. He forced him to build deadly weapons for him.

He refused but the man threatened his loved ones. So he built them but before the man could get them, he hid them in chests much like the ones for the royal family, and then he searched for shelter in the underground village he built. This armour looked like one of the ones he described.

Seungri lifted his gauntlets, Lisa quickly reacted and pushed Chaeyoung and herself aside, already knowing it would shoot razor-sharp blades, if she was right.

"Take this!" He smirked, indeed shooting blades from his gauntlets that barely missed them.

"Close your eyes!" Lisa said, covering Chaeyoung's eyes and squeezing hers shut. Just at that time Seungri's helmet emitted a flash of light that could disorient them.

He frowned that his second attack was also blocked. He balled his fist and dashed towards them. Chaeyoung would have fought back but Lisa grabbed her hand and ran. This armour gave him enhanced strength, there was no point in fighting back bare-fist or with knives.

*****

Jennie spoke with Haein who received the other device. He sounded frantically, apparently things didn't look good on their side. They wouldn't be able to assist them right away.

"What's going on?" Jennie asked quietly.

"It's their arrows... the tip is covered with a poison that has a quick effect. Many of our men have fallen and somehow it's spreading around them, even if they were not hit by it but were in contact with someone who was." Haein explained.

"Tell your people to wear metal armours, don't let them be complacent." Jennie frowned, worrying about their victory.

After that they quickly went back inside the castle. There they found their friends running around, followed by the king in a weird suit. They could also see a few yellow army members invade and attack the castle guards. Yet Seungri was still chasing them. His legs were also granted enhanced speed. He quickly dashed forward catching up to them.