Part 18: Birthday Surprise

A Month Later -

Lockwood's POV:

This morning I woke up to a bang, a crash, and whispered swearing. Slowly the whispers turned to talking, which then became an argument. Sighing, I got out of bed and shuffled towards the door. Pausing for a second to listen through the door, I could tell the people arguing were Lucy and George, however I couldn't hear exactly what they were saying.

I quietly turned my door knob and pulled the door open to find Lucy with George in a headlock, and a couple of boxes wrapped in paper strewn on the floor. They both looked up at me before Lucy dropped George to the floor and ran to me. Wrapping her arms around me in a hug, she yelled 'Happy Birthday!' right in my ear. I winced and she apologised quickly before cupping my face with her hands and kissing me. 

'Move, Luce! You don't get to hog him just cause your dating!' George yelled before pushing Lucy away from me, mid kiss. He wrapped his chubby arms around me, squeezing tight - and I do have to give him credit for being a pretty good hugger - before releasing me and shoving a present in my face. 'Happy birthday, Lockwood! Welcome to the seventeen years old club.' 
'Thanks guys,' I grinned at them. 'Do I want to know what happened just before when I opened my door though?' George and Lucy looked at each other, back to me, at each other again, and then shook their heads.
'It was George's fault though. I do want to point that out.' Lucy piped up. George scoffed and turned to go down the stairs.
'And I thought I was meant to be the immature one.' I laughed as Lucy gathered up the presents on the floor. Once she was done, I wrapped an arm around her shoulder and we walked down the stairs to the kitchen, following George.

☆☆☆☆☆☆

The rest of the morning was fantastic. George had made me a special breakfast, consisting of: pancakes, berries, cooked banana, syrup, ice cream, and of course, a cup of tea, made to perfection.

Holly arrived a couple minutes after we had finished eating and then it was time to open presents. I wasn't really expecting anything; possibly something stupid as a joke from George, but I was spoilt. Holly had gifted me two new white shirts to add to my wonderous collection, plus a new alarm clock. George gave me a pair of pink socks that weren't made pink by accidently washing white ones in with red clothing. He also gave me a mystery novel. Every year, without fail, George always gifted me a book. I've only read two out of the four, but it was still nice to have them. I knew Lucy would probably end up reading them, so at least they wouldn't go to complete waste.

Lucy's gift had been a new tie, the third she had given me, a new board game, and a gift card for a new rapier. It was ever so generous of them all.

Because I had woken up just before 11am, it was after 1pm by the time we were all dressed. Holly had left a few minutes ago to go do a few 'errands'. It was all a bit suspicious and I knew something was up but I had absolutely no clue as to what it could be. George was in the kitchen doing something. The door was shut and I had been yelled at when I had gone to walk in to make myself a cup of tea.
'No, Lockwood! You stay out of here! Don't come back till I say you can!'
I had backed away slowly to the living room only to find Lucy folded over, laughing. Raising my eyebrows, I had waited for an answer. None came but she did go and make me a cup of tea. How unfair was it that she could go into the kitchen but I couldn't. I was my birthday and my house after all.

Now, Lucy and I were sitting on the couch. Or more laying. Lucy had her legs stretched out in front of her, and she was slumping with her elbow on the couch's armrest, and her head leaning on the palm of her hand. I was nestled in right next to her, basically lying on her, and she was absent-mindly stroking my hair.

There was a comfortable silence between us, occasionally broken by a sound flowing up from the kitchen, a grunt or curse from George, and then a snort from Lucy.