48/Dexter

Hayden's pov'

Hayden's pov'

It's been two hours, and things have returned to normal. We're still waiting for the police officer to arrive and inform us of the girl's problem.
I'm not sure what's happening, and I feel like they're not going to release her, which is a relief because she won't be able to hurt my girl anymore.
She'll be locked up and monitored 24/7.

"Hayden, who's at the door?" Almira shouts from the bathroom, and I shake my head, lost in thought.

I open the door, and it's two cops. "We have news for you and your girlfriend about the girl. Is she home?" one of them asks, and I nod, eager to hear that she won't be coming around here anymore.

"Almira, come to the door, please," I call out, and she's by my side in seconds.

"Great, so we got the girl checked at a hospital, and they ran tests on her and all that," he begins, looking at a clipboard that held a couple of papers. "I heard she stayed at your house for a couple of days after she was 'broken into,' correct?" the man with a thick and dark mustache speaks, air quoting "broken into."

"Yeah?" Almira responds.

The cop confirmed that the girl was never broken into; she just lied to us.
She's mentally unstable and dangerous, and they found drugs inside her home.
She was diagnosed as a psychopath after undergoing many tests, and she had a history of police reports and hospital records.

She killed her mother when she was young, so I'm glad she was finally taken in.

However, I couldn't help but think of one thing: she killed her mother when she was young, and so did I.
Is it possible that I'm a psychopath too? I'm a bad person for sure because I killed someone. I killed the woman that gave birth to me.

"If you have any questions, please proceed with them; otherwise, we're done here," the cop said, and Almira nodded.

I was frozen at the door, I couldn't say anything.

She let them know that she's relieved the girl is taken care of and the cop bows his hat taking his leave.

Almira closes the door and tries to comfort me by wrapping her arms around my torso, but I steps back.

I can't let her touch a murderer like me right now.
"I'm going out," I tell her and head upstairs to grab my jacket.

I need to get my mind off this situation, as I can't bear the thought of looking at Almira in the face and being reminded that I'm a killer.

The news of the psychopath's arrest is understandable. It's natural to feel relieved when someone who has caused harm to others is taken into custody.

However, my response to Almira's attempt to comfort me is upsetting. I'm struggling with guilt and shame over my past actions, and this is causing me to withdraw from the people that care for me.