11

The cozy smell of spices and chamomile tea waft throughout Lavenders 2 bedroom apartment. Plants hang from the ceiling, surrounding the soft brown lounge I am sat on. Lavender's house has always felt like home, maybe because I spent most of my time there. I never liked to be alone, my thoughts were far to loud when there wasn't someone else's presence to bring me back.

"Earth to Evieeee" Lavender sung, waving her hand in front of my face. "Sorry" I grimace. "No worries, so...what's happening between you and Taylor, like, you spend so much time together" Lavender said, emphasising the 'so'. "I have no clue, she is so kind to me, I mean, she barely even knows me! She let me stay at hers after the funeral incident and she took care of me, even when I was acting like a fucking child" I blurt out. "Wow...it seems like she really cares about you, Ev" Lavender replies slowly. "What do you mean you were acting like a child?" Lav asks, turning her head slightly. "I don't know...I just started acting like a kid and I couldn't stop, everything felt so much scarier and I just wanted to curl up and cry in her arms" I said, wincing at the fact the last part came out of my mouth. "Oooh I think I've read about that somewhere!" Lavender says jumping up, making her way towards the vine-covered bookshelf behind her. "Uh huh, here it is! It's called age regression, it can happen when you get really stressed or overwhelmed and you act like a little kid" Lav said matter of factly with a proud grin. That made a lot of sense."How did she react?" Lav asked, watching me intently. "I mean she kinda just took it in her stride, she didn't seem to mind" I replied. "That's good, I mean not the stressed part, but like, that she didn't care, I would've thought she would've been super judgmental because she's famous and all" Lavender said, tripping over her words. "Yeah no, I get what you mean" I laugh.

"What do you think about it all?" I say, playing with my hands. A part of me is terrified Lavender is secretly judging me, though I know that's mostly bullshit. "I don't care, I'm just happy you've got a somewhat healthy coping mechanism" she says, making us both break out in laughter. "I love you" I whisper between fits of giggles. "I love you to, Ev" Lavender says, pulling me into a hug.

*******

Fat tears splatter on the ground beneath me as I curl into a ball. Images of my father flash before me, like a slideshow. His fist lurching towards me, taunting me. STOP I scream, but all that escapes is a whine. My shaking hands wander, Stopping at my phone. I need to call someone. Lavender? No, she's at work. Taylor? No I couldn't...could I? As if answering for me, my finger slips and her number rings. "Hello?" Her soft voice replies from the other end. "Hi...it's Evie, sorry I shouldn't of called I-I'll go-" I ramble. "No, no hunny it's ok, what's up?" Taylor replies with her soothing tone. "I don't know" I say, tears spilling out yet again. "Oh sweet girl...I'm coming over, ok? Sit tight darling" Taylor says, hanging up the phone.

That all to familiar feeling creeps up on me and suddenly I feel so small, so vulnerable. Everything seems so scary, yet so interesting. I never noticed how colourful my kitchen was, or how the drawers make a little face. My heart rate slows as I begin to look around me. The soft glow of the afternoon sun makes the leaves of my plants glow and the rug has a little face to! Quiet giggles escape as I look at my apartment, everything is so beautiful.

A soft rhythmic knock sings throughout my apartment, bringing me back to reality. My feet patter against the floor as I run towards the door. "Oh darling" Taylor grimaces, pulling me into her arms. "Shh, it's ok, I've got you" Taylor says, guiding me to the couch. "Can you tell me how old you are sweetheart?" Taylor questions with a sweet, but all knowing smile. "Dunno" I mumble, playing with her hair. "That's ok, I think I already know" Taylor replies.

"Are you hungry darling? I can order some food?" Taylor asks. "Mhmh can I have chicken nuggets please?" I say bouncing on the balls of my feet. "Of course hun, do you want to watch something while we wait?" Taylor asks, grabbing the remote. "The little mermaid!" I say jumping around. "Of course you do" Taylor laughs, playfully rolling her eyes.

After what felt like forever, the doorbell rings. "Alright stay here sweetheart, I'll get it" Taylor says, patting my head as she stands. Once again I feel my worries float away. "Here ya go hun" Taylor says, pushing a styrofoam box toward me.

"Oh hunny, you have ketchup all over your face" Taylor laughs, grabbing my chin and wiping my face with a napkin. I've never felt so at peace, like I can really be myself and she will be there the whole time. "It's getting late and you are far to regressed to be alone right now, how about you come to mine? Is that ok?" Taylor questions. I nod. "Perfect" Taylor says, her eyes meeting mine.

The drive to Taylor's was long and the warmth of the car seat lulled me to sleep. My heavy eyes came to a close as Taylor hummed softly in the seat beside me. I don't think I've ever felt so small yet so calm, this woman is the best thing that's ever happened to me.

—-

A/N: Aghhh sorry for editing everything over and over again