Chapter 27

When I land, I see Nat waiting in the garage for me. Just as promised. She's always on time, one of the many things I lo- like about her. I jog up to her and usher her into my Challenger.

"Can I know yet?" Nat bugs me again.

I fake consider this. "No," I say simply.

"You're frustrating," she says casually with her eyes glued to her phone.

"Thank you."

The ride to Jackson Heights is short and easy. In under thirty minutes, we're at the Rolls-Royce dealership. I tell Nat to wait in the car while I go in since I won't be long.

When I'm done inside, I go back to my Challenger. I open the driver's side door and lean down. "Get out," I tell Nat.

"Why?"

"Just get out." She sighs with a small smile. "Catch."

Her reflexes are great. She swiftly catches my car keys with one hand. "What?" she questions them.

"I need you to drive the Challenger back for me."

"Why?"

"Look where we are. Why do you think?"

"You're joking."

"Am I?"

A few minutes later, my customized car comes to the front of the building and the dealership employee hands it over to me. All the paperwork is finished and everything is paid off.

The exterior is glossy black with a silver grill and silver rims with the RR on the grill, hood, and wheels. The windows have limo tint (I'm allowed since I'm a government employee). The license plates are dimmed as legally as they are allowed to be.

Moving inside the vehicle, it's all black and red. Every leather seat is red from the headrests down to the edges. The backs of the front seats have little tray tables under TV screens that only come out if you put the table down. With them up, the whole seat is red again. The entire roof has the cool starry lights to help illuminate the rest of the black interior from the steering wheel to the floor mats. It's the most luxurious luxury car I've ever seen.

"Damn, now I wish I was driving this thing home," Nat comments when the tour is over.

"I would totally let you if I didn't want to be the first to drive it."

"When we get back?"

I smile. "Sure, why not?"

Nat follows me back to the compound in my car. Pulling into the garage, Nat parks next to me so both of my cars are next to each other. I let Nat take it for a spin with me in the passenger seat, of course.

-

Later that night, I'm back in my room with the VRTO files sprawled out on my bed. About an hour before I have to go to bed, I take a shower. It feels so good. I stand under the smooth water and take in the warmth. When I'm out, I put my hair up in a bun, wrap myself in a towel, and leave the bathroom to find some sleep clothes.

I don't get five steps when I hear papers rustling in my room. I pause and turn. Sitting on my bed is Nat. When she sees me, she stops what she's doing and stands.

"What the hell, Callie?!"

"Nat, wait–"

"You were given direct orders to drop this case!"

I scoff. "Oh, don't go acting like my boss."

"You went directly against strict orders!"

"Orders that were bullshit, if you ask me!"