spring is here

Steve's POV:

We watched the new film in the cinema. I found it boring, but I think Eddie liked it, so it's not that big of a loss. I think today is the first time I genuinely saw him happy. And I can't help but think, that maybe, just maybe, if I hadn't been that cruel to him all those years he actually could've had a chance. At happiness.

I cannot stop thinking about his wrists, about what I saw. I try not to mention it, since I understand that it might make him uncomfortable, but this is the first time I've met someone like that. Sure, I've heard of it. "Self Harm" I think it's called? Ah, I don't know.

We're sitting at a diner next to the cinema, we ordered some milkshakes. He's rambling about some movie called "Motel Hell", I've never even heard of it, but I don't interrupt. He seems so happy.

"And Vincent buries the victims up to their necks in his "secret garden", then cuts their vocal cords to prevent them from screaming. They are kept in the ground and fed until they are ready for "harvest" and then"

He goes on and on about the movie plot, the cast, the director, the writer. I don't even know how he knows so much about it. The movie sounds terrible in my opinion, but hey, you like what you like. I simply sip my milkshake and listen to him talking, observing as he uses his hands to gesture and explain everything. It's truly so interesting to watch.
___________________________________________

Eddie's POV:

I look up at him and suddenly stop talking. Steve's staring at me.

"Oh, sorry." I let out a nervous chuckle.

"Oh, no, it's alright. I want to know what happens next." He replies as my eyes widen slightly.

He has a genuine smile on his face and it seems like he actually enjoys listening to me. That's... New.
___________________________________________

Eddie's POV:

An hour or two goes by and we get ready to leave. As the waiter comes up to us, I take out some crumbled bills and get ready to hand it to him, but Steve lowers my hand and hands the waiter money to pay for both of us. I get ready to protest.

"You didn't have to do that, I have my own money."

He simply shrugs. "Yeah I know, but I've got more than I need."

Sometimes he's so frustrating. Does he view home as some charity case? Does he just want to better his karma by helping some "poor loser"? He puts his wallet back into his pocket and smiles at me. He has the most beautiful smile I've ever seen, but I quickly catch myself staring and clear my throat.

"Alright, this, uhm... This has been fun. Thank you." I say awkwardly.

"It's alright. I enjoyed it." God that irritating smile of his. An awkward silence follows as neither of us say anything for a few moments.

"Alright, sooo... Do I drive you home or what are we doing?" He asks raising an eyebrow.

"Yeah, that'd be nice. I mean, if it's not a problem or anything." I add quickly.

"God no, stop being so considerate." He jokes and stands up to leave. I get up and follow him out to the parking lot. The day is truly beautiful. The sun is shining and nature is starting to get back some of that greenery that it lost during the winter. It's March now and everything is starting to feel normal again. I haven't felt this way in years. Maybe since I was seven. Then my parents started fighting, my dad started drinking and mom- taking pills. We were a happy family right up to that moment. Then it just went downhill after that.

Flashback

I return home from school, a couple of my friends and I decided we are going to have a sleepover on Friday. The sky is clear as I reach our yard, but something's different. I hear noises. Shouting? My parents never fight.

I quietly walk in through the door and hear the snippet of the conversation.

"How do you expect me to forgive you!?" My dad's voice is loud and aggressive. Forgive her for what? I think to myself.

"Hank it was one time! One time!" My mom is angry too. I don't understand what is happening. I peek into the kitchen to see them standing next to the table, faces red from anger. Suddenly my father slaps my mom and I flinch. I quickly run back upstairs as quietly as I can and close the door behind me, sitting down onto my bed. Did he hit her? Did my dad just hit my mom?
___________________________________________

I snap back and realize that Steve asked me something.

"Sorry, what did you say?" I ask glancing over at him. We're sitting in his car, heading towards my house.

"Are you okay?" He repeats his question.

"What? Oh, yeah. Yeah, I'm fine." I say looking out the window.

"Alright." He says quietly. It's clear from his voice that he doesn't believe me, but he doesn't keep pushing. I'm grateful for that.
___________________________________________

Steve's POV:

I park my car next to his trailer and look over at him.

"Do you want to come in?" He asks me.

"Is that alright?" I reply nervously.

"Yeah, you paid for the milkshakes, the movie, the least I can do is offer you a beer." We get out of the car and he opens his door, gesturing for me to come inside. I look around the trailer again. It's small, but cozy. The complete opposite of my house. Eddie takes out two bottles of beer from the fridge and sits on the couch, patting the spot next to him. I sit down and take the bottle from his hand, taking a sip. Then I clear my throat.

"So, uh, where's your parents?" I ask trying to fill the awkward silence.

"I live with my uncle." Eddie replies taking a sip from his own beer. "He's out on some business." I nod, not knowing what to say next. He just leans further into the couch and looks at me. "Where are yours?" I look at him in confusion.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, I've been to your house twice now, they weren't there." He clarifies.

"Oh, yeah. They're on vacation in Hawaii." I respond looking away. I don't even remember the last time I saw them. Maybe a year ago, maybe two. If they're not on vacation, they're on a business trip, if not that, then they're... Somewhere. They usually don't even bother to call me. Eddie stays silent. I clear my throat. "Well, I like your house." He lets out a laugh.

"Liar." He says simply.

"No, no, I really do, it's... Cozy." I reply smiling.

We continue to talk for a few more hours before I finally go home. I had a good time today. I didn't realize how much fun he could be, but I guess you never do, until you actually put in the effort.

A/N (Alright y'all need to genuinely tell me if I need to continue writing this or not. I read the whole fic again and I feel like it's too sappy, but idk, I want opinions)