The Bargain

Having the lifeline of the Gods in my hands , I presumed myself to be in an advantageous position for bargaining . Along with my wives , I entered the realm of my uncle , where he was having an important meeting or rather say some new plans up his sleeve . The very presence of Gandharvas Tumvuru , Viswavasu and Chitraratha made me infer that perhaps I was the topic of discussion . While Indra was giving an earful to Viswavasu and Chitraratha for letting me go away pretty easily , he was getting the taste of his own medicine from Tumvuru . The immortal celestial musician was so afraid of my singing abilities that he immediately disappeared at my very first sight . Viswavasu and Chitraratha however left not before offering a cordial nod leaving both of us uncle and nephew to deal with the situation ourselves .

" What do you want now ? Aren't you happy with having your wives back ? " questioned an irritated Indra .

" You know exactly what I want , isn't it ? Allright , let me make it simple for you . Release the wives of my friends who are under your captivity currently . " commanded myself in an authoritative tone .

" Behave yourself mortal . I am not your servant . I am the king of the heaven . " Indra retorted back with pride .

" But how long will you stay the same ? Perhaps Bheeshma would be on his way to attack . I have conveyed the message back to my friends . You have to release them anyway . After all you won't want to fight your son once again . Nor would you want to face the wrath of the son of Ganga ." I threatened him casually.

" You are giving me the threats of mortal Kshatriyas !!! I am the mighty Sakra , for God sake . I slayed Vritasura using the Vajra . Moreover I needn't fight Arjuna . Infact I would help him by offering him the Kaurava wives by virtue of whom he would shame the son of Gandhari in front of the world and earn praises for having rescued the wives of even the villains despite all grudges . " Indra kept on boasting .

" My dearest uncle , is it that you were a born fool or you are trying to behave like one whenever I come infront of you ? Do you even stand any chance before me with Vijaya in my hands ? " I challenged him .

" You.... you ....aren't perhaps aware of what I am capable of . " stammered an unsure Indra.

" How wouldn't I when you have already imparted all of the same as a blessing after the donation ? Have you really forgotten so soon , old man ? " taunted myself as his eyes widened in realization

" You had my blessings as your armory and now you are threatening to use the same against me . This isn't fair at all !!!" Indra grumbled in despair .

" Life is never fair , uncle . Neither with me nor with anybody else . Then why should you Gods have all the fun ?Moreover everything is fair between an uncle and his nephew , isn't it ? " I kept enjoying his frustration.

" Allright , I will release all of them . But you promise to not ruin the incognito of my son and his family . " Indra forwarded his condition after much thoughts.

" So my dearest uncle wants to have a deal with his toddler nephew ? Do you really think that I would agree despite having the ability to turn the tables with my arrows ? " I stood firm on my stand .

" You really don't want to fight . Perhaps you are tired doing so for so long . Hence you wanted to have the things done without bloodshed . So be it but with my terms . " Indra had a slight smirk building which disappeared quickly as soon as he saw the glint in my eyes .

" Only if you are benevolent enough to give up your throne for me , dear uncle . " I pressed further.

" No way !!! Not even in the wildest of your dreams you man of vile words . " roared an infuriated Indra .

" At least not of vile acts , isn't it ? Perhaps you remember the wife of sage Gautama , dearest uncle . Would be having some of your traits though as both of us have a common ancestry . " smirked myself having him on the backfoot .

" Arjuna is my son . He is a man of character. I am proud of him . " Indra desperately defended himself.

" And so was Vali as well , isn't it ? The one who snatched the wife of his younger one and made her his own . And your youngest one too has rumors of some one night stands , you must have known about at least the Naga princess . " I literally thrash his pride this time .

" I am not giving up my throne . You can have anything else . " a speechless Indra came back to the deal instead .

" Anything else ? " I confirmed .

" Yeah , anything except the throne . " was his casual remark as the frustrated king of heaven was massaging his temples .

" Then command all of your gang of Gods , of whom you are the chieftain , to shower all of their divine knowledge and cosmic powers on myself . " was my proposal.

" Accepted . " Indra blew his conch shell to invite all the Gods and to keep the words of their king the Gods complied immediately. First Agnideva , then Vayudeva followed by Varunadeva blessed myself with their powers . Then came the preceptor of the Gods , Brihaspati who imparted me his divine knowledge . One by one the gods kept coming forward to satisfy myself with my accomplishments .

" Thanks , dear uncle , I promise you not to harm your son and his family in their incognito year unless they mess with me or my family . " I resolved much to his relief .

" Guards , inform the apsaras to escort all the royal ladies here into the court . " commanded Indradev with a face that had lost its color . Within moments the ladies were released and they were received warmly by my wives .

" So now that our deal is sealed , permit me , o king of Gods , to return back to the earth with all that I have received from Gandharva loka and Indraloka . " I humbly bowed before the Devas .

" Just get the hell out of here with all your exploits and don't ever show me your face again . " shouted the agitated son of Aditi on the top of his voice .

" Perhaps it would be you who would beg to have my audience in near future . Goodbye Uncle Indra . " I waved my hands as I walked back along with the ladies .

As I was leaving the place , I saw through the corners of my eyes the reappearance of the three wise Gandharvas in the courtroom . However they were even more terrified this time around and perhaps I knew the very reason of it . My speculations proved to be correct as I was back in the forest when a loud thunder roared in the sky with the rains ready for shower . Perhaps my uncle had received the news of exactly what all I had sneaked out of his realm and that too with his permission . And he had only himself to blame as he keeps howling and weeping all night .