Chapter 23

Nadine's POV

"You're supposed to be the next best lawyer after me, Atty. Perez. What do you mean mahina ang kaso?" I tried to calm myself.

"Do you want to win or not? You're a goddamn lawyer. You know it's hopeless! Tinago mo yung anak mo, your kind of work is dangerous given the cases you're handling, 80% chance papabor ang korte sa na-agrabyado at medyo mas tahimik ang buhay." Atty. Perez straight forwardly said.

"That's why I'm hiring you to do something. If I could just fight for my case alone, I would." I could feel myself losing control.
I don't know what he wants. Sobrang bipolar niya.

"You could make this less difficult by asking for joint custody or other settlements." Atty. Perez suggested.

I scoffed at the idea. That asshole was one tough badass wannabe.

"I'll call you when I get other alibis. In the mean time, prepare yourself for next week's court." She got her things and headed for the door.

Napaupo na lang ako sa upuan. He won't answer my calls, the next thing I know he wanted full custody over Robert. I didn't know he was that mad at me.

I hear a doorbell and a yell from Robert, "Mom, someone's at the door."

I made my way to the living room. "Clean up some of your toys just in case." I pointed at the mountain of his toys lying on the floor.

I was shocked to see who was standing on my doorstep. "Hey," I exhaled the breath that was caught in my chest.

"I've been thinking this is my right ever since." He said as he pushed his hands inside his pockets.

I nodded in realization of what he was talking about. "Come in, he's right here."

"Robert James Reid Junior. That's his name. He's 5 years old." I informed him beforehand. He looked at me intensely and then he seemed to get a wind of something and looked away.

I thought I saw him shake a little. I closed the door behind him when he got in.
He looked around first and when his eyes fell on his son, I saw him gasp.

I ushered him to the living room and made him sit at the couch.

I saw Robert eyed James curiously. I walked towards Robert and kneeled to his level.

"Robert, di ba I said Daddy will come back?" I asked him. I tried to blink back the tears. He looked at me and James and then nodded.

"Daddy's home, baby." I tried to smile at him, I pointed at the heavily breathing James. James had his eyes fixed on his son.

I urged Robert to come closer to his dad.

James' POV

For years, I did not even know I had a child, a son for that matter.
The kid came closer to me, probably still hesitant about me being his dad.

"Are you really my Dad?" The kid asked, doubt oozing in his voice.

Bakit Tuwing may encounter kami nang anak ko, lagi akong naiiyak. Ang sarap kayang sabihin, "anak ko."

Hinawakan ko ang pisngi niya. My other hand was soothing his hair.

"Yes." I gasped. Tears finally falling.

"If you're my dad, what did you give my mom the day you left for work?" He challenged, looking at me expectantly. Like he wanted me to answer it.
I didn't give Nadine anything. But I'm guessing since he was wearing it, it was worth a try.

"I gave your Mom this," I pointed at the necklace hidden under his shirt. "Your mom always liked stone necklaces."

His face lit up like a Christmas Tree on display. He flashed me a wide smile before hugging me tight.