2

Summer in the Hamptons is the fourth song on the set list, and we are currently performing the third song.

Shit.

My palms are covered in sweat, and I'm thankful my microphone is on a stand because surely it would fall right out of my hand if I was holding it.

I don't even know why I'm so nervous. It's not even that big of a deal. It's just part of the show, and Joe's just going to interact with me. It's not like he's going to walk up to me and kiss me.

But he has glanced at me multiple times since the show began. I can't say it's unusual but it's definitely been more frequent. I don't know if it's because he's nervous too, or because he's worried about me.

Before I know it the song has began, the crowd screams when the band starts playing the beat, even though the song just recently came out.

"Warm waterfalls stay falling on me..." Nick belts out, making a large part of the crowd go crazy.

My heart is beating so hard and it's all I hear in my in ears. I keep my eyes on Joe and try and remember to sing along.

"Your body takes me to some kind of place..."

"Sex like summer in the Hamptons..

Sex like summer In the Hamptons..

Sex like, sex like."

Joe's solo is about to begin. He effortlessly spins around on his feet, a smirk laid across his face as he approaches me. I can already hear screams from the crowd.

"I'm deep inside your sand..." he sings.

He reaches out towards me to grab my hand. I take it cautiously, and he pulls me to the middle of the stage. The crowd starts cheering as he spins me elegantly in a circle.

"A different kind of warmness..."

He wraps our arms around my waist and stands behind me, pressing our body's together as we sway along to the music.

"My heart inside your hands, a thousand wild horses."

I can feel his heart beating at a fast pace against my back, distracting me. The only thought that plays through my head is that this is the first man I've not been afraid to let touch me in years.

I can't help but giggle when he spins me around again. I playfully push him away as the course begins again and I step back onto my spot before it's time for me to sing again.

Bloody hell.

The rest of the show goes on. Nick and Joe and Kevin just seem extra into tonight. Even Nick interacted more with Raegan and Sarah. I love how much they involve us and their band into their shows. It's just nothing something you see very often.

My legs were sore by the time the show was over, and I couldn't get my brain to shut down. I can't stop thinking about how Joe's body felt against mine. It was a shock of electricity that flowed through my veins that I have never experienced before. Being his center of attention for just a few moments made me happier than I thought it would.

"That show was so much fun!" Raegan gushes as the four us walk back to our bus.

"Even I can't deny that." Sarah says with a grin.

I roll my eyes. She's just happy because Nick gave her attention, because even though she'd rather have Joe's eyes on her, Nick will do.

But it was clearly an act. He hardly even speaks to her off stage. She's way too loud and bubbly. Nick is quiet and keeps more to himself, sort of like me. I would be shocked to see them together.

"You and Joe eh?" Trent elbows me in the arm, with a grin across his face.

"There's no 'me and Joe'" I say, adding quotation marks with my fingers.

"Well, I know how you are Ruby, and you don't just let anyone touch you like that." Trent looks towards Raegan and Sarah who are walking in front of us, having their own conversation. He leans in closer to me so only I would hear, "Well I know how you are with affection."

Trent knows a little bit about me and my ex boyfriend. He's very insistent and when he saw one of my scars after we first met, he wouldn't leave me alone about it.

And because I'm a terrible liar, I felt like I needed to tell him some sort of the truth.

He doesn't know the half of it.

I glance at the girls and make sure they aren't listening as well. I look at Trent and shrug, "I'll say that I was pretty surprised myself."

Just as we are almost to the bus, I hear someone hollering my name from behind us. Trent and I exchange confused glances before turning around. I see Joe, standing by one of the crews trucks. He smiles and waves me over to him.

"Ooh you better go girl." Trent begins to push me and I swat at him before I begin to walk slowly and casually towards Joes direction.

I shove my hands into my coat pockets just as I get to him.

"What's up?" I ask him, a smile plastered on his face.

"Well I was wondering if you enjoyed the show. But I don't have your number, so I couldn't text you."

I laugh, "Well you could have just asked me tomorrow, since we have to do this thing all over again."

"You're right, I could have but..." he starts but stops. I wait for him to continue but he doesn't, he just shrugs.

Whatever you say, Joseph.

"Well to answer your question, tonight was fun. And I hardly got nauseated when you touched me." I smiled mischievously at him.

Yeah right.

It took him a moment to realize I was just kidding around, which makes me giggle.

As if anyone could be repulsed by this man.

He shakes his head, smiling at the ground, "You're something else Ruby May."

My heart stops when I hear that name come out of his mouth. He must see my change in mood and quickly tries to defend himself, "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have called you that. I just saw your middle name on your paper work when you auditioned and I really liked it. I should have asked you first."

"No, no." I shake my head, ignoring the burn coming from my eyes, hoping he doesn't notice, "I really like it."

"Okay, well, I'll see you tomorrow for sound check then?" His eyes meet mine, and I try my hardest not to look away like I usually would.

I nod, "I'll see you then."

"Goodnight Ruby May." He grins.

I smile back at him, "Goodnight Joe."

I watch him walk away, until he is out of sight. I place my hand over my heart, as I remember the way my mom sounded when she called me Ruby May.

The hours ticked by slowly as I stared up at the ceiling above my bed. The room is quiet except for the soft snores coming from below me. If I had known he was a snorer, I would have slept as far away from him as possible.

I try to sleep, but every time I close my eyes, images of Joe flood my head. The way he smiled at me when he twirled me on stage. The way his warm hand held mine as we swayed to the music.

The way my body was pressed against his.

It was hot up on stage. It always was, with those bright lights shining down on us. But I felt goosebumps form when he sang basically in my ear as he held me close.

I wanted him in that moment.

And I think I still do.