6

"I'm sorry about Joe, him and Kevin just go non stop sometimes." He says with a smirk and I laugh with a shrug.

I'm not upset with Joe for not paying full attention to me. He invited me to a group hang out. It's not like we were on a date.

"It's fine." I say. "thanks for keeping me company."

He turns to me with a smile and I smile back. Before anything else could be said, I hear the music appear again as someone opens the door,

We both turn and Joe comes out. Nick steps away from me as Joe approaches. He glances at Nick before stopping at me. "You okay? We are just getting ready to leave."

I nod, "Yeah sorry, was just a bit overwhelmed in there." I shove my hands in my jacket pockets. I hate sounding like a weak person.

"I'm sorry, I should have warned you about where we were going beforehand." Joe says.

I shake my head, "You shouldn't have to warn me about a normal night out." I say.

"Hmm define normal." Nick says, and the three of us laugh.

"Well, our driver is outside. We are going to go back to our hotel. You're welcome to join, or we can bring you back to the bus."

"I think I'll just head back to the bus." I say.

I've had enough for one night.

The ride to the bus is silent. I hop out and Joe comes out too, to walk me to the back of the venue where the bus is. He shoves his hands in his pockets as we make our way down the side of the building.

"I'm sorry if you had a shitty night." He says lowly.

The poor guy thinks it's something he did. He has no idea I'm just too fucked up from my past to have a good time. And I almost wish I could tell him that.

"I didn't Joe. It was nice, thank you for inviting me and for the food." I touched his arm gently, trying to reassure him. He smiles weakly at me, unconvinced.

"Well maybe we can do something just you and I next time?"

Is he asking me out on a date? No, I doubt it. It can't be.

"Yeah?" I question, wanting more information.

"Well tomorrows a no traveling off day. I have a radio show in the morning but my afternoon is free. We could go out on the town, sightseeing or something."

"Sure Joe, let's do that."

We stop just outside the bus and his face lights up, "Okay! Awesome. How about I give you my number? that way we can text and I'll let you know when I'm done with the radio thing."

I pull my phone out of my back pocket, unlock it and hand it to him. I watch him as he focuses on my screen, tapping away at the screen and putting in his number before texting himself from it.

He hands me my phone back and I put it back into my pocket. "Cool." I say.

"Alright we'll I hope you have a good rest of your night Ruby May." He says.

I smile at him. He moves forward as if he may hug me. I freeze, unsure of what to do. But instead he lightly squeezes my arm before turning around and walking away.

When I get onto the bus, I check my phone as I kick off my shoes. I laugh when I see the contact name: Joseph

There's a text on my phone waiting for me when I wake up. My eyes are still groggy as I rub them, trying to read my screen.

From: Joesph
Good morning Ruby May.

I stare at the screen for a long minute. This is a new step in mine and Joe's relationship.

A good morning text?

He said he would text after the radio show. But he texted me an hour ago. As soon as he woke up.

It's nothing Ruby. Get a grip.

Me:
Good morning Joseph.

I send the text and hop out of bed. I gather my clothes, just my usual tee shirt and jeans and head for the bathroom. The girls are on the couch watching tv, and there's no sign of Trent. I wave as I walk by and they wave back.

The familiar 'ding' of my cell phone goes off from the sink. I ignore it, not wanting to seem desperate as I turn the water on. It takes forever for it to warm up

I slip out of my clothes as I wait. My phone goes off again, the two minute reminder that I have a message. I sigh and pick it up.

From: Joesph
What are you up to? I thought we'd be done here by now. Taking forever.

From: me
I'm about to hop into the shower. But that sucks, sounds boring lol.

Like our conversation.

The water is finally warm so I jump in, taking my time as I wash my hair, shave my legs and wash my hair again. My scented coconut shampoo fills the room as I get out.

I wrap myself in my towel, letting my hair drip droplets onto the floor and grab my phone, getting water on that too.

From: Joesph
Haha yeah it is. Especially when I'd rather be hanging out with you.

Oh.

I set my phone down and stare at my reflection through the half fogged up mirror. I shouldn't even be associating myself with Joe like this. It's going to give him the wrong impression.

I'm not someone you peruse romantically. Because you're just going to be disappointed. I should cut off all ties with him now.

Easier said than done, you work with the guy!

I could quit.

No way.

But I don't want to. And I don't want to stop hanging out with him.

Because you want him.

I shouldn't. I don't want to feel this way. It's been so easy to avoid romantic feelings for anyone, until I met him.

Fuck me.