16

My bag is packed and set by the door as I wait for Nick on their front porch. I already said my goodbyes to Denise and it made me sad.

She's so nurturing and everything a mother should be. The boys are lucky to have her, and she really just made me miss my mom even more.

I can't help but wonder what I would be like today if I still had my mom growing up. Who would I be today? Would I have even met Mike? Would she have helped me leave him before it got out of hand?

"Ready?" Nick asks as he comes out the front door.

"Been ready." I tell him.

"Ha." He says as he grabs my bag and walks down to his rental car. He gave his driver the holiday off and decided he would drive us to our next concert spot.

Neither one of us talk for hours. I scroll my phone, bored as Nick drives. It's almost dark when suddenly he pulls over on the side of the road. I look at him in question as he stares at the dash and the car jolts forward and shuts off.

"What was that?" I ask.

"It seems as though the car died." He turns the key and nothing happens.

"What the hell?"

He shrugs, "I have no idea."

"What are we going to do?"

"I'll make some calls and see what I can do." He jumps out and starts typing on his phone before bringing it to his ear.

Minutes go by before he gets back in, setting his cell phone down on the dash in frustration, "So basically no one can come out tonight, but a tow truck will be here in the morning."

I lean back against my seat and sigh, "Well that's great."

"I saw a motel not far back, we can walk over and see if they have a room available."

"Seriously." I sigh again.

"Well unless you want to sleep out here tonight, in the 20 degree weather."

"Fine."

We walk to the nearest town and am relieved when we find a cozy inn, that is actually just an old Victorian house.

An old woman at the front desk smiles at us as we approach.

"Hello there." She says, "how can I help you two?"

"Do you happen to have any rooms available? Our car broke down and we have nowhere to go until morning." Nick tells her.

"Oh no, well let me see." She shoves on a pair of reading glasses and looks down at her notepad in front of her, "Hmm we have one room available, it's small with only one bed."

"That's fine." Nick says.

She hands him the key and we make our way up a long staircase to the top floor.

The loud squeaky door opens, revealing the room. She was right about it being small, with only a full sized bed in the middle of the room.

I set my bag down on the desk chair and look at Nick. He shuts and locks the door behind us before kicking his shoes off.

"This is real nice." I mutter.

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't take you to a five star resort." He rolls his eyes, walking over to sit at the edge of the bed.

"I should have just..." I start but stop.

He looks at me, for the first time today, "Should have what? Just went with Joe?"