13

"Welcome! And Happy Thanksgiving!" Nicks mother, Denise says as we enter her home.

"Thank you for having me Mrs. Jonas." I say to her.

She waves me off, "oh please, call me Denise." She grabs my bag for me while I take off my shoes.

"Okay Denise." I say with a smile, before grabbing my bag back from her.

"Hello mom." Nick says before giving his mother a hug.

"My boy." She says as she kisses him on the cheek.

Mr. Jonas comes in then, and just as his wife, insists that I call him Sr, since his name is Kevin as well.

"I have breakfast waiting in the kitchen for you guys." she tells us.

"Let me bring Ruby up to her room first." Nick says, taking my bag from me.

I follow him upstairs where there's a long hall way of rooms. He opens the first one, to reveal what looks to be his room, when he stays here anyway. The walls are dark green with a brown comforter, with pictures of the boys over the years hanging on the wall. I see some of his diabetic supplies neatly piled on the dresser.

He sets my bag on the bed, "I figured you could have my room."

"What about you?" I ask.

"I'll just take Kevin's room. Even if him and Danielle and the girls come, they don't stay the night." He insists, leaning his back against the doorframe.

"If you're sure." I say, "it's cute that your parents still have rooms for each of you." Especially since this isn't their family home.

"We try to visit as much as we can."

I walk around the room, checking out the pictures. "You're so lucky to have the family that you do."

He walks over to stand beside me, "You're right."

My stomach grumbles, loud enough for him to hear it. He laughs and grabs my arm, pulling me out of the room. "Let's eat."

His mom made everything; scrambled eggs, bacon, toast, home fries. I was starving and made a plate that was probably too big but I didn't care. I can't remember the last time I had a home cooked meal, especially breakfast. Usually we just ate cereal on the road.

The turkey is already in the oven, and it smells amazing. I can't believe she's made such a big breakfast while also prepping for our thanksgiving meal. I can barely make Mac and cheese.

"Joe should be here anytime." Kevin Sr. says as we are finishing up.

I glance at Nick, who doesn't look in my direction. I wonder if he knew Joe was coming for sure or not.

I help Denise clean up when the front door opens, and Joe comes in. He hugs his dad happily, until he seems me and his face drops.

"Hey brother." Nick says, greeting him quickly.

"Hey." Joes eyes are still on me. I turn around and put a dish in the sink before grabbing Nicks shirt.

"Excuse us." I say to Denise before I drag Nick outside onto the back porch.

I turn to him, my blood boiling. He doesn't meet my eyes and that tells me everything I needed to know.

"You didn't tell him I was going to be here. You lied."

He raises his hands up in surrender, "It was just a little white lie."

"Why would you do this to me?" I ask.

"Because I knew he wouldn't come if I told him, and you two need to talk."

I cross my arms in front of my chest. My eyes begin to burn, and I hate that I cry when I'm angry.