18

TRIGGER WARNING: this chapter describes a person attempting to commit suicide. Please do not read if this subject is triggering to you.

The bus is empty. I run into the bathroom and lock the door. I grab at my chest, trying to catch my breath.

I feel like I'm suffocating.

I've ruined everything.

I don't deserve Nick. I never deserved Joe.

Why am I even here?

I should be with my mom.

This world only brings me pain.

Now I understand why my mom didn't want to be here anymore.

I open the medicine cabinet, where Trent keeps his pain medicine. He takes it for his bad back from a motorcycle accident.

The bottle is full.

I hear someone coming into the bus.

Multiple footsteps.

A knock on the bathroom door.

I grab the bottle.

"Ruby, let me in there please." Nick begs.

"Leave me alone!" I shout.

Silence.

My hand shakes violent holding onto the pill bottle.

"Ruby May, please open the door."

Joe.

I shake my head vigorously and grab onto the bottle with my other hand to steady it.

"I'm sorry Joe." I mumble.

"I know Ruby, it's okay, we can figure this out."

"No, we can't." I finally get the cap off of the bottle.

"Let's just talk okay?"

I sit down on the edge of the small tub. "Your life will be better without me Joe."

He hesitates, "that's not true Ruby. My life has been better since you came into it."

I shake my head, a sob escaping me, "I've brought you nothing but pain."

I bring the bottle to my mouth, ready to pour.

"I don't care about all of that Ruby." Joe says.

A loud thud, as someone tries to break down the door. It's now or never.

"I'm sorry, for everything." I say again before dumping the pills in my mouth, swallowing as many as I can.

I sit down on the floor and lean my back against the shower and close my eyes.

"Ruby!" Joe yells.

Another bang against the door.

My chest hurts.

"Ruby! What's going on?" Nick yells.

My vision begins to blur.

The door bursts open as my limbs begin to twitch. Joe runs in, picking me up bridal style and getting me out of the small bathroom. He falls to the floor, holding me.

"Call 911!" He screams.

God it hurts.

Please stop hurting.

"Ruby please, look at me!" Joe sobs, holding me face close to his, "I love you Ruby, I love you." He cries.

I'll see you soon mom.