20

"Ruby Mae." Joe says as he stops in front of me. My heart skips a beat at the nickname I haven't heard in years. He smiles warmly at me, and his eyes slowly graze down my body as he takes me in.

"Joesph." I said and flashed him a genuine smile. There's sounds all around us but they are muffled as I get lost in his eyes. He's still as beautiful as ever.

He leans in and gives me a friendly hug, "You look beautiful." He whispered into my ear.

I ignore the heat rising from my cheeks as we pull apart. I nod and poke at his boutonnière that's pined to his suit jacket, "you look handsome."

"It's so great to see her again, isn't it?" His mother adds. I jumped as I practically forgot she or anyone was there.

"It is. I'm glad you came." Joe says softly.

"You two catch up, we are going to go check out the car." Denise says as she pulls Kevin Sr away with her. Kevin nods kindly at us before parting ways too.

I rub the back of my neck nervously as I bring my eyes back to Joe, "shall we sit?" He asks.

"Sure." I say. He pulls a seat out from the table for me. I smile at him in thanks as I take my seat. He sits down beside me, resting an elbow on the table and facing his body towards me. His knee brushes against mine under the table.

"How have you been?" He asks.

"I've been well." I state before grabbing a glass of water off of the table and taking a small sip, "what about you?"

"I'm good. Just been writing music and enjoying some free time." He watches me intently as he speaks and I realize how much I had missed his voice.

"My mother said you are living out in the middle of nowhere in Vermont." He said with raised eyebrows. I laughed, but a warmness flowed through me at the thought of him asking his mother about me.

"Yes. It's nice. Quiet."

"Quiet does sound nice."

My heart began to beat faster against my ribs as I began to feel bold, "Well, you're always welcome to come and enjoy some quiet with me."

I was afraid i had messed up as soon as I said it. I shouldn't expect him to want to see me again. Especially alone, but his face lit up, "I'd like that."

"Yeah?" I questioned, "I'm free the first week of December." I said softly.

"Text me your address, and I'll be there."

Before I could say anything else, Nick made his way over to us. He grinned at the sight of me. I stood up so I could give him a hug, "Congratulations Nick." I said.

"Thank you. And thank you for coming." He said cheerfully, holding on to me for a few seconds longer.

We pulled apart and I smiled up at him, "it's nice to see you again."

"Likewise. You look great. I'm so glad you could come." He says before giving Joe a squeeze on the arm. The three of us speak for a moment before Nick leaves us again to talk to another group of people.

I spent the rest of the night catching up with the Jonas'. By the time I headed to my Jeep, it was late and I couldn't find Joe. I sent him a quick text with my address before I left. The whole drive home, all I could think about was if he was actually going to come and see me in a few weeks.