20

"Look," Dallas began,"I know saying sorry isn't enough, but I don't know what else to say.  I know we both said and did things we didn't mean."

"We?" I questioned. 

Dallas snapped his head in my direction. 

"Bringing up Sylvia was low, especially for you." Dallas spoke sternly. 

I glared at him. 

"I had to stoop down to your level for you to hear me." I nearly spat at him.  

Dallas sighed loudly, shaking his head.  

"I don't know what I'm doing." Dallas mumbled out.  

"I don't know what I'm doing either, Dallas.  I can't keep doing this with you.   I can't keep going back and forth like this, it's exhausting.  Either you're nice to me or your not, you've gotta pick one.   I need it to be consistent, I need something to rely on." I rambled out.  

The corners of Dallas lips turned up slightly into a smile. 

"It wasn't this hard when we were 14.  It was much simpler then, man." Dallas spoke slowly. 

"We were just kids, had nothing to worry about." I chuckled. 

Dallas went quiet for a few minutes, as he thought. 

"You know, I really do care about you.  I really do want this to work.  I don't care that we made that promise how many years ago about not getting attached.  You're under my skin, man." Dallas quickly blurted out. 

By the look on his face, he was speaking whole heartedly. 

Dallas looked back over at me, before reaching up and tucking some loose strands of my hair back behind my ears. 

I didn't think Dallas Winston could ever care about anything.  

"If we can make it two days without ripping each other's throats out, I think we will make it out ok." I smiled at him. 

That caught his attention. 

"Will you let me take you to the Dingo?" Dallas begged. 

"Sure."

Dallas had a satisfied look on his face. 

"Dallas?" I spoke again. 

"Huh?"

"Can you get me a blanket?" I asked him. 

Dallas got up and quickly searched the living room for a blanket. 

He draped it over me softly, as I laid back down on the couch. 

"Can I lay with you?... please?" Dallas spoke softly. 

"Only till I fall asleep." I allowed. 

Dallas quickly shut the lamp in the corner off, and  crawled behind me, before he pulled the blanket over himself as well.  

He wrapped his arms around my body, as he rested his face against my neck. 

"Dallas." I groaned. 

"What now?" He chuckled. 

"Quit poking me with that thing."

"I can't help it." I know he was smiling even though I couldn't see him. 

Having Dallas wrapped around me felt so comforting. 

As soon as I shut my eyes, I began to drift off to sleep.