Chapter 25

Women

He told me his entire story, everything and I was at the peak of bliss for the following days. After Durga's marriage, we returned to our house. She and her husband moved to Madras since he began working for a large retailer as the manager and godown keeper. I'm delighted for her. In just two days, my life was altered, and now I'm in love with the doctor. Every time I consider that, my cheeks begin to flame. He was in love with me the entire time, his first love is me and the first and second girl who stole his heart is me. I now think that if my Akka hadn't eloped that day, his life would have been quite difficult. I can't even imagine the odd position and sensation he must go through every time he sees me, because I would have been his sister-in-law. I'm pleased it didn't and that everything worked out the way it did. I'm sorry, Akka, for being selfishly satisfied.

"Huh! I have classes from tomorrow. I heard Jessi also passed the exam and we are in the same class, I am happy that I have someone whom I know," I said as I plopped onto my bed. It still has his scent. I remembered the dirty little act both of us did back in my house. I can't stop blushing. I was so exhausted yesterday after a long train journey so I slept like a log. "Will he do something tonight?" I covered myself with the blanket, flushed in my fantasy. I am in love.

In the evening I went to the front yard to sweep and saw Aisha chechi feeding her son Hashim in their yard.

"Ahh! Sathya! when did you come?" she asked

"Yesterday night chechi," I replied

"Huh! I can see you are in a very good mood, did something happen?" she smiled, I guess my face reflects my heart.

"Yes, chechi, I passed the medical entrance exam and I have classes from tomorrow. I am excited about that," I answered proudly.

"Ente Rabbeh! (my god) I prayed for you, congrats Sathya. I am so happy to hear that. I bet Bala chettan will be most satisfied than you," she commented

"Yes, he is very happy and he said to take me out this evening," I was so cheerful to share my happiness.

"I am so proud of you Sathya, I always wanted to study but after my marriage and two kids, my only goal is to provide my children with a good life. I am happy and lucky to be Rahim Ikka's (used both to address husband and brother) wife but there are some little dreams we all had from childhood right, mine was to be an owner of a cloth store (Aisha laughs). I know right, stupid and that's why I learned to stitch. Huh! silly dreams! But I have an amazing life now, so no worries," she explained

"Chechi, I don't think your dream is silly. I think it's amazing and it's not late, you can still do it. You are very skilled in stitching and making pretty dresses for Noora, they are lovely. You should seriously consider opening at least a stitching, and tailoring shop. I am sure you can do it, you are very strong and independent like my Amma," I explained my thoughts and opinions. I don't know why she glanced at me with such a shocked face.

"Sathya, thank you. Nobody said these lines to me till now, not even my husband. I was the fifth child in a family of nine. I have eight siblings, five brothers and three sisters. I was the youngest sister, and both of my elder sisters married before I turned 13. I still remember my second sister crying loud to my mother requesting, to stop the marriage and let her study more. She always dreamt of becoming a teacher. I feel bad for her, she has four children now and is married to a man working in Dubai. Even though he treats her well, she is not allowed to study or work. This world is really cruel to us, women. We give birth to humanity, the earth, the rivers, nature, and our country. From a child's first word to everything around us is denoted to a woman, a mother and yet we are the only ones that lack the freedom to claim our existence. The second gender," Aisha chechi opened her heart to me for the first time. I can feel the overflowing strength, the rage and the compassion in her. Like every other woman in the world, including me, she also dislikes and protests against this patriarchal society. I loved that chat between us. I feel like I talked with a feminist rebel.

"Chechi, will you let Noora have your faith?" I asked

"Never," she replied with a smile

"Then what our future beholds is promising," I wanted to cheer her up. She laughed; "I think the little girl Bala-chettan refers to has grown up," she answered. Hashim chuckles, agreeing with his mother's words.

I took a bath after my long and informational also revolutionary talk with Aisha chechi. She said she is a communist follower and also her husband, so her points do have some Karl Marx, and Che Guevara ideologies. I am very interested to have more chats with her and learn new things. People here are really different from the folks I have seen in my village.

I changed my clothes and waited for the doctor. He promised to take me out today, a movie, food from outside and a walk on the beach. Huh! I can't wait. Finally, he came home and looked tired.

"Doctor, do you want to postpone our outing? You look very exhausted," I asked

"What? No, my dear wife, you look beautiful and I can't wait to hang out with you. I came early just for this," he replied giving me a kiss on my cheek. He then proceeds to take a bath and change into fresh clothes. We then went out in his car.

"Where do you want to go first?" he inquired

"Hmmm... Beach first," I said. "I have only seen the beach once when I was little. My akka was so afraid of the sea that my appa never took us there. I miss beaches," I added.

"Ok, let's go to the beach first, then a film and dinner at an amazing restaurant, since my wife passed the exam and confessed her feeling, I have to do at least this right?" he asked like a teenager in love.

"You are being a child and stop that, it's embarrassing, doctor," I said bashfully

"Haha! I am so satisfied that I could eat you right now,"

"What! Stop with that and focus on driving please,"

"Sathya?" (Smiling)

"Umm!" (hiding her face with her hands)

"I love you,"

"I know,"

"Then tell me,"

"What?"

"I love you-ma,"

"I-love-U!"

"(laugh) Kadavule!," (God!)