Chapter Two: A Slice of Pie

Weekends always seem slow for Eliza. Saturdays are spent under a tree reading, sewing up holes in her worn-out clothing, or resting when it's hot. Sundays are her prep days for the week. She will go shopping at the mercantile when they open after church, and she'll eat out of one of the cans she bought. It was the only logical thing to do, considering that she did not have a kitchen.

When she feels extra lonesome, she'll bring flowers to the graves of her parents. Of course, only tulips and daffodils are out around this time of the year. On the weekends, she's alone with her thoughts and if she's not careful, she begins to miss her parents too much. Oh, if only she could speak to her mother and father again! She would have guidance and support. They would still have the farm. She could tell her mother about the handsome man she saw. Even though it was only for a second, she felt something that she never felt before. Surely, if her mama were here, she would be able to explain why she feels this way.

But she's not. They're not.

Eliza has wondered if she could talk to Bethy about these thoughts and feelings she keeps hidden. She has almost confided in her about Willy harassing her but talks herself out of it. Heaven forbid she makes things worse by burdening the overworked Bethy with her troubles.

So, as usual, Eliza keeps silent and keeps it inside.

But like all weekends, they come to an end.

The alarm clock chimes again. Monday has begun. Eliza groans, rolling her body out of bed.

She looks over at her nightstand and looks at the only picture she has of her mother and father.

"Good morning," she exhales.

***

As she steps out of the hotel, she spots Willy coming out of the mercantile down the street. Taking advantage of an oncoming wagon, she follows behind it and goes into the alley between the restaurant and the tailor. Going to the back of the restaurant, she locates the back door, finds it unlocked, and slips inside.

Eliza hears voices coming from the kitchen. It's Clarence and Bethy. Clarence is filling a pail of water at the pump and Bethy is whispering to him.

"Hi, Bethy. Good morning, Clarence!"

"Eliza!" Bethy hurries to her, holding a newspaper in her hand. "Have a look at this!" She hands the paper to her and points to a small article. She begins to read the title and discovers...

"A bank robbery?"

"Yes! At the Bank of Lee and Hoyt! Can you imagine? It happened a few weeks ago."

"Did you get to the part about what they did with some of it?" Clarence eagerly entreats.

Eliza continues to read. It turns out three men had successfully robbed the bank of $5,000 in gold and gave some of it away!

"What? They gave some away?"

"Ain't that something? I wonder where they could have gone off to? Maybe east?" Bethy wonders aloud.

"I feel terrible for the victims. Some of the people I know here in town have accounts there."

"Oh, Eliza, you are such an empathetic soul. But at least they helped some people!"

"I guess that isn't the worst thing that could happen. And no one was killed."

"I hope they catch them," Clarence says over his shoulder.

"I think it might start something," Bethy retorts. "Sometimes I think that we give the government too much credit."

Eliza's eyes widen. "Bethy, you don't mean that!"