Chapter Five: A Letter from Valentine

As Bethy predicted, three days went by and Mr. Kilgore did not come. But after a whole week went by, Eliza had become nothing but the embodiment of loneliness and sorrow.

She began to ask around town to see if they had seen Mr. Kilgore, but everyone she talked to gave the same answer: "No, I don't know anyone by that name. Are you sure they were here?"

She was certain now that he was gone and wasn't coming back.

Bethy made several attempts to cheer her up, but nothing worked. After a few weeks went by, the sullen face was replaced by a blank expression. She didn't smile and was serious the majority of the time.

She was angry at herself. Angry for letting her heart run away with her head, as Bethy put it.

She didn't mind taking a break, but for him to disappear without a word was drawing the line. But then again, she didn't blame him. So she carried on. Albeit without joy and the liveliness that she used to have, but she has returned to being the good employee that she was.

No one has been complaining, so it didn't matter whether she was her bubbly self or not.

The heat of summer is rolling to an end, as it is now the end of August. The bank is finally built and there is a grand opening. Joe decided to close the restaurant early, as he wanted to make an account for the restaurant right away.

While most of the town was making their way to the bank, Eliza went home.

Sitting down at a small table she used for a desk, she looks out the window and watches some birds fly away. If only she could be like them. She could soar through the sky and search the ground below and perhaps find the elusive Tacitus Kilgore.

She needed to leave. She thought about all that Bethy said. She did have her whole life ahead of her and she was being stifled here.

She pulled out a packet of paper and slipped out one sheet. Taking her father's pen, one of the few things she got to keep, she began to write a letter.

Dear Aunt and Uncle Bloom,

I know that it has been a while since we had last spoken to each other, as it was at my parents' funeral. It was wonderful to know to have family, even though there is over a thousand miles separating us.

I know that you had once told me, at the funeral, that I could come to Valentine and live with you. I hate to now take you up on the offer, but I hope it isn't too late to come. I now realize that I am in need of a change and I want to remain close to the only family that I have.

If you'll still have me, I would do my very best to not be a burden. I'm a very hard worker and I wouldn't be in the way. If there is the question of rent, I will gladly pay it, as soon as I could find new employment.

If this offer is no longer open, I would still like to come for a visit. Either way, please let me know so that I can make the necessary arrangements and so that I can plan accordingly.

Yours,

Elizabeth Bloom

She places the letter in an envelope and sets it on her desk. She will take it to the post office in the morning.

***

September. Eliza comes out of the post office and tears open a letter addressed to her.

    Dearest Eliza,

    It is so good to hear from you. We had hoped that you were doing well, all things considered, but your letter feels heavy with sadness. My heart goes out to you, dear niece.