Chapter Twelve: To Be Young

Eliza brings her arm back from the window and sits down. She sniffs and gently wipes her eyes and turns her face away from Arthur, who looks at her with concern. She wants to be happy to see him, after being apart for so long, but her heart is filled with sadness. Deep down, she knows that she'll never see her friends again.

She feels something touch her hand, which startles her. She turns to see it's Arthur's hand on hers. She looks up into his eyes and upon looking into hers, he can see her pain.

"Do you want to go back?" he finally speaks.

"I'm just emotional. Bethy said that would happen." Another tear falls down her cheek.

"It's okay to be sad, Eliza."

"It's just...hard to leave all that I know behind, but I know it is better this way."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I'm just thankful that you could come with me."

His fingers wrap around her hand, which comforts her to know that he still cares for her a little. At least enough to be sympathetic.

"So, what now, Ar—Tacitus?"

"As I had mentioned in my letter, we will be stopping in Jardin City. It's a few hours northeast of here. So get comfortable."

"That's going to be hard."

"And why is that?"

"I've been uncomfortable for the past twelve weeks."

"Is that how far along you are?" Arthur asks, amazed.

"Thereabouts."

"It seems like it was just yesterday you told me."

"Not to me. It feels like years."

Arthur lightly chuckles.

"I suppose I'll never understand."

"I don't think you will."

A lounge car attendant enters the car and begins to go by each passenger, asking if they'd like something to eat. Eliza can hear some of the conversation and she feels her stomach growl. She hasn't eaten since last night, as she was too anxious and too busy to make herself breakfast or lunch, and a turkey sandwich sounds really appetizing.

The attendant approaches Arthur and Eliza.

"Excuse me, sir, would you and your wife like something to eat?"

Arthur is about to correct the attendant, but stops himself, thinking that it would be a waste of time. It was better for people to think that as they traveled.

"We have ham or turkey sandwiches," the attendant adds.

Arthur turns to Eliza.

"Are you hungry?"

"Maybe just a little."

He turns back to the attendant.

"Three turkey sandwiches, please."

"That'll be a dollar-fifty."

"That's ridiculous, but she's hungry and so am I." Arthur lets go of Eliza's hand and reaches into his satchel to pull out the exact change. He places it into the worker's hand and it is exchanged for the sandwiches, all individually wrapped in paper. "Thanks."

"My pleasure, enjoy!"

As the attendant walks away, Arthur hands her one of the sandwiches. Resting it in her lap, she unwraps the paper, revealing the sandwich. It makes her mouth water as she smells the seasoned turkey and as she eyes the juicy tomato slice inside. She quickly takes it in her hands and bites it. Arthur watches her enjoy her sandwich and it makes him smile a little, he was glad to see a little bit of that liveliness shining through. He looked at her stomach and wondered when he would be able to see her belly grow round. He had never really been around pregnant women, but something, call it instinct, made him want to protect her. He had spent the last month trying to prepare himself for fatherhood, but he was afraid of disappointment. Not on his part, but he didn't want to disappoint Eliza. He didn't want to let her and their baby down. He didn't want to be like his predecessor.