Chapter Six: Hey, Brown Eyes

This winter has been long and cold. Many folks wondered if they'd make it through. It didn't help that people were getting sick. But thankfully it didn't last. It's now February. And days of snow are growing less and less. With the harsh winter, many folks are praying for spring.

    Eliza is 19 years old. She spent her birthday alone, sewing a new dress. She plans to have new clothes for her big trip east. The end of May is only a couple of months away, and she just received her train fare yesterday.

    Due to the lack of mobility in town and the threat of illness, Joe's has been closing early each day. There's nothing that the employees can do about it, as the business has been losing more money than its been bringing in.

    The sheriff is finally here. As Eliza leaves the restaurant after closing, she walks to the small building that serves as a temporary jail and sheriff's office.

    She enters the small space. A small shelf and a potbelly stove remain as lonely furniture. The sheriff sits at a table, with papers strewn about. He looks middle-aged, but well put together. He finally notices her.

    "Oh, good afternoon, ma'am."

    "Hello, Sheriff...?"

    "McAbee." He gestures to a chair that stands across from his table. "What can I help you with?"

She shudders at a sudden chill and sits down.

"I'm sorry for the temperature in here," he continues. "I can't seem to keep a fire going."

"That's alright. I'm only sorry you have to be in here all day."

"You're kind ma'am. Anyway..."

"I'd like to report some suspicious activity."

"Such as?"

"I think I know who the vandals are."

He leans forward in his chair.

"Do you? Who are they?"

"William Dwyer and a group of young men."

"I see. How did you come to discover this information?"

"I...overheard a group of them a few months ago. Willy–William Dwyer–said he was planning something big."

"Did he say what?"

"No, he was vague. But they all seemed to consider him their 'boss.'"

"Sounds like gang activity to me. You do realize if I investigate this, I'll have to speak to him about it?"

"Please don't say I told you. He might...he will not like it."

"I won't, but he will become suspicious and I might not catch him doing anything."

"Are you saying you can't arrest him?"

"Are you familiar with the idea of innocent until proven guilty?"

"Yes, the trial at Old Bailey."

"You seem to know your history."

"Yes."

"Well, until I can prove that he and these boys are guilty of all the vandalism, as you so suspect, I have to assume they're all innocent."

"But I know he did it!"

"That won't hold up in court. I'm sorry, ma'am, but that's the law."

"Will you go talk to him today, then?"

"Not yet, I will need to do some investigations of my own. I have to gather as many facts as I can. I just advise you to stay clear from him or any of those boys."

"I'm already ahead of you."

"Good. Was that all?"

"Yes." Eliza rises to her feet.

"Alright, good day, ma'am."

"Goodbye."

Eliza steps out and heads to the mercantile. Stepping in, she doesn't see Mr. Watson but sees one of his sons helping a customer.

The customer turns and looks at Eliza. He has a crooked nose and flaming red hair.

It was one of Willy's boys.

Eliza quickly turns around and exits the store. A gust of wind picks up and blows the scarf off her neck.

"Not again!" she growls and goes to pick it up where it landed.

Being distracted, and with her back turned to the street, she doesn't notice the person standing behind her, and the appeal of surprise makes him smile.

"Hey, brown eyes."