The Next Step!

Alex and Piper decided it's better to go for adoption through fostering since there were so many kids who needed a loving home and parents. In order to do this, they had to get a foster license. Once they had completed all the paperwork regarding fostering, they even completed the various workshops and courses prospective parents are required to undertake to help the foster kids feel safe in their foster home. They had to sit with different psychologists specializing in child welfare and child issues. As they sat through the sessions, they were shocked to find out how sick parents were to abuse kids. Parents who bought them into this world and then abused them, physically, mentally and sexually. Seeing how the kids were abused, it made their choice stronger to foster and adopt kid.

Alex and Piper returned from their last session and both were drained, emotionally and mentally. It was beyond their understanding how could the kid's own parents put them in harm's way or harm them directly. Parents are supposed to love and cherish their babies, protect them at all costs. It made them value their daughter much more and their love for one another. They decided that they need to sit down with June and have a conversation regarding their foster status and how even today, later in the day they could get a phone calling changing all their lives.

Piper: "June, baby we need to talk to you. Please come and sit with us on the couch."

June: "Yes mommy. Did I do something wrong?" she said coming in a little scared.

Alex pulled June in her arms and placed her on her lap. She was almost 6 years old but Alex could still picture her as a baby. Piper moved closer to her family.

Piper: "No baby, Mama and I want to talk to you about something."

June: "Am I getting a sister?"

Alex and Piper laughed loudly and Piper shook her head, trying to control her laughter, seeing how their daughter still asked the same question over and over again.

Alex: "No sweetie, you are not getting a sister..." but before she could continue, June piped up again.

June: "Oh! A brother would be okay too I guess..."

Piper spoke before they continued this cycle of June wanting either a sister or brother or another dog, one fur shedding lovable annoying creature was more than okay.

Piper: "Baby, remember we told you about different families and how different ways we become a family?"

June: "Little bit..."

This time Alex spoke, giving Piper some time to prepare what she was going to say.

Alex: "Babe, we might have another kid live here with us for some time in the coming weeks. Would that be okay with you?"

June: "Off course Mama. They can share my room."

Piper: "That's very sweet of you but they will stay in the room next to you. The kid might be shy or scared because before coming here, they might not have had people treat them nicely or kindly. We want to make them feel comfortable and feel loved. So can you please share your toys and be gentle and loving to them, okay?"

June: "Okay. I will do that, but please ask for a sister...I mean a girl..."

Alex: "It's not in our hands, but even if it's a boy, we have to be very nice...okay?"

June nodded and Piper continued,

Piper: "June, if the kid likes our family, Mama and me would like to adopt them, that means we will ask them to stay with us forever..."

June: "I have no problem. But does that mean the new kid or baby gets all attention?" she asked her insecurities rising while sniffling.

Alex hugged her tight while Piper rubbed her daughter's back in comfort.

Piper: "Baby, no. But since they are new here, they will need more time, attention and love from us but that doesn't mean we will not give you time or love. We can plan special days or something...or we all can have park dates? How does that sound?"

June hugged Alex tight and motioned for Piper to join their hug and she obliged.

Piper: "June, just because mommy and mama will welcome someone else in this family, our house doesn't mean we will love you any less. Any time you need us, we will always be there for you. We both love you so much and nothing and no one else is going to change that."

Later that day, June asked them for a movie night in their home and pizza and off course her mothers said yes. June even insisted she sleep with them in their big bed. Both mothers agreed, seeing she was clearly needing the extra attention. That night they slept together, their baby in between them, a family of just three for the night.

The very next morning they had received a call saying that there was placement, a 2 year-old boy.