Veinte

JENNIE

I stood by my window, looking at the show as I held my phone.

I remembered her birthday.

I remembered her talking about her low sense of existence.

I remembered that surprised and happy expression when she was asked about her birthday.

It was genuine, not an act.

So I wanted to personally wish her a happy birthday, even if it was over the phone.

I wanted to tell her that there's someone who will remember your birthday.

We'll remember you.

Hearing the hoarseness in her voice, I asked gently, "Manoban, are you crying?"

"No such thing," she laughed.

"You wished me a happy birthday right at midnight. Such a joyful thing; how could I cry?"

I didn't believe it.

"Don't cry."

"Thank you......"

I suddenly recalled how she looked when she cried on set.

It was the day she finished her scenes, and we were all giving her flowers.

That day, her expression was filled with disbelief, as if everything in front of her was a hallucination and would burst like a bubble if she touched it.

It was like she didn't know what else to say.

I didn't want to see her like that.

I couldn't bear it.

"I bought a present for you." I opened my mouth gently, trying to distract her. But I don't have your address; is it okay if you tell me where I can send it? "

"How could I make you go to such an expense?"

"It's very normal to exchange birthday gifts among friends," I said.

"Besides, I'm not the only one."

I had no intention of explaining to her, "I'll hang up first. Remember to send me your address."

***

LISA

"Wait —"

The line dropped.

Without hesitation.

I looked at my phone suspiciously, then realized there were quite a few messages from WeChat.

[JK]: Wishing you a happy birthday! 🎺🎺🌹🌹

[JK]: I especially waited till midnight to wish you. Sigh, I really am a good brother.

[JK]: I wasn't sure if you slept, so I didn't dare call you.

[JK]: I passed your present to Miss Kim; she said she'd help me mail it to you.

[JK]: I'm going to sleep; I still have to work hard for my Lamborghini tomorrow. Chat tomorrow

The originally silent chat box was immediately made lively and active by Jungkook, with happy stickers all over the screen.

It was almost like a playful child who was afraid I wouldn't see his wish.

My eyes suddenly felt warm.