four

The police had escorted the group of teenagers back home, which was not a good thing

Once they got home, Jackie gave the teenagers a stern look as they all gathered in the hallway while Laurel was talking to the police officers.

Sarah leaned against Jeremiah, resting her forehead on his chest as they all stood in the hall. He soothingly rubbed her back while she nervously fidgeted with her fingernails, fully aware that they were in serious trouble this time.

Conrad couldn't tear his gaze away from them, feeling a pang in his chest and his stomach churning. Witnessing their closeness stirred up a strange emotion in him, causing him to regret for not speaking to her after last summer. However, he knew that was in the past and couldn't change that now.

"Officers, thank you. It won't happen again; I can promise you that much." Laurel said politely.

"Tell Mr Fisher the chief wants to set up a tee time when he gets back in town." One of the officers responded.

"Absolutely. Sorry again for the trouble." Laurel apologized, leading the police officers out of the house. "Have a good night, officers."

After the police left the Summer House, Laurel and Jackie turned to the teenagers, their pleasant demeanor replaced with stern expressions.

"How could you guys be so irresponsible?" Jackie demanded, raising her hands in frustration.

Liam sighed. "Mum, it wasn't a big deal. All right? Seriously. The cops were just looking to break up the bonfire."

"Not a big deal?" She asked.

"Yes."

"I would say getting picked up by the cops for underage drinking is a pretty big deal, Liam."

Steven took a deep breath and then scoffed, looking at his mother. "Were-were you guys... smoking tonight?"

"What?" The two mums quickly questioned, shifting on their feet, confirming Steven's answer.

Sarah's eyes widened as she exchanged glances with her older brother before staring at their mother in disbelief.

"Keep your voice down. Susannah's asleep on the couch." Laurel told her son.

"Well, I wasn't yelling. Well, you-you-you were." Steven stuttered.

Jeremiah stepped forward. "Just so you know, Laurel, I-I didn't drink tonight. I was the DD, I swear."

Laurel then pointed towards Conrad. "You're the oldest. What the hell's gotten into you?" She then turned to her daughter. "And when did you leave the house without telling anybody? And what in the world are you wearing?"

"It's Taylor's." Belly mumbled, wrapping the hoodie she wore around herself. "And why am I the only one who's not allowed to go out?"

"It's not that you're not allowed, it's that you should have told us you were going." Laurel told her. "How did you even get there?"