two

When Belly came up to the surface, she smiled and said

When Belly came up to the surface, she smiled and said. "You guys are ten-year-olds."

"For life." Liam said smugly. His smuggy face made her want to splash him and soak him.

"I think I twisted my ankle." Belly said, pretending to have trouble swimming over to them.

Sarah walked over to the edge of the pool with a smirk. "I'm pretty sure you'll live, Bells."

"At lease help me out." Belly insisted.

Sarah squatted and offered her hand to Belly, which she took. Belly gripped tightly and pulled Sarah's arm as hard as she could. Sarah yelped as she stumbled, fell forward and landed in the pool with a splash even bigger than Belly's.

Sarah's head bobbed up quickly and laughed. "I hate you so much, Belly."

"Revenge is sweet." Belly said giddily.

Jeremiah, Steven, Liam and Conrad laughed hysterically at the girls before they all headed back to the Summer House.

Belly and Sarah rolled their eyes as they swam over to the edge of the pool and pulled themselves before heading into the house. The two left a trail of water before them as they walked up to the kitchen island to see Susannah cutting up fruit while Jackie and Laurel stood around in the kitchen.

"Hi." Belly and Sarah greeted in unison when they sat down at the island.

"You're both dripping water all over the place." Laurel told the teenagers and left the room to get two towels.

"Laur, Jack. They're gorgeous." Susannah whispered, pointing at both Belly and Sarah.

"I know." Laurel whispered back.

"They grow up too quickly." Jackie added.

Susannah walked around the island and held the teenagers hand, looking at them from arm's length. "You two have always been lovely, but, look at you."

Belly smiled self-consciously. "I think I look pretty much the same."

"You do not look the same at all." Susannah responded, shaking her head before sweeping Belly in for a hug, the close kind that's long enough to make you wonder how long it's going to last, who'll pull away first. She then turned to Sarah, looking at her in awe. "You're so pretty, Sarah. You're both growing up. You're in bloom. You're going to have an amazing, amazing summer. It'll be a summer you'll never forget."

Sarah looked over her shoulder at her mother with a concerned look on her face which made Jackie to simply shrug her shoulders.

Susannah always spoke in absolutes like that- and when she did, it sounded like a proclamation, like it would come true because she said so.

The thing is, Susannah was right. It was a summer Sarah would never, ever forget. It was the summer everything began. It was the summer she turned pretty. Because for the first time, she felt it. Pretty. Every summer up to this one, she believed it'd be different. Life would be different. And that summer, it finally was. She was.