eight

Every birthday Belly has ever had has been at the Summer House

Every birthday Belly has ever had has been at the Summer House. It's always the same. Laurel makes Mickey Mouse pancakes. Everyone gives her presents. It's the one day the boys have to include her in everything. It's her favourite day of the year.

When Sarah woke up, the house smelled like butter and sugar. When she crawled out of the warm bed, she opened the drawers and grabbed a present before rushing into Belly's room where she noticed the now sixteen-year-old was still sound asleep in her bed.

"Belly." Sarah called out. Belly tried to roll over, but then she heard it again, louder. Sarah sighed and shook her. "Belly!"

"What?" Belly asked groggily.

"Happy birthday!" Sarah beamed excitedly.

Belly fluttered her eyes open. She sat up straight in her bed and squinted her eyes due to the sunshine that shone through the blinds on her window.

"Thanks, Sar." Belly yawned, using both of her hands to rub the sleep out of her eyes.

"I can't believe you're sixteen! Here." Sarah said happily, handing the wrapped present to her.

Belly tore through the wrapping paper to reveal a beautiful journal.

"Wow." Belly gaped in shock.

"It was handmade in Italy by skilled artisans at Borlino from the very finest vegetable-tanned leathers. Inspired by the story of Michaela, a trafficking survivor who never thought she could dream as big as she did, the Dream Journal was designed to explore your own 'what if's - to write down all those dreams hidden inside of you." Sarah explained.

"Aw, thank you so much, Sar." Belly said gratefully, pulling her best friend into a side hug.

"Anything for you, Bells." Sarah responded. "How was your date with Cam Cameron?"

Belly chuckled lightly. "It was actually good. We went to the drive-in and watched Sabrina. As we watched the movie in silence it was a little awkward. But while Audrey Hepburn delivered her monologues, our hands inched closer together until they became intertwined. When the movie was over, he drove me home. Then... he asked if he could kiss me, and I accepted it."

"Belly!" Sarah yelled, shaking her for a moment. "Holy crap! That's so exciting!"

"Yeah..." Belly muttered sheepishly. "What about you? How was your date with JJ?"

Sarah hesitated for a moment. "It was good... until the boys decided to crash it. JJ and I were about to kiss before they suddenly appeared at the Roller Rink."

"Assholes."

"I know, right? After that, JJ drove me back home. It was kinda awkward to be honest. He then leaned in to kiss me, but I chickened out at the last second and turned my head."

"Why?"

"I think it was because of what happened last summer."

"What happened last summer?" Belly asked curiously.