nineteen

Stars filled the sky like pale corn into freshly turned ground, promising life in the darkness and warmth in the cold

Stars filled the sky like pale corn into freshly turned ground, promising life in the darkness and warmth in the cold. The vastness of the sky brought humbleness and gratitude for the comfort of home.

After dinner and a few drinks, the teenage girls sat on the boat playing a game. Sarah laughed as she sat between Belly and Taylor.

"Put a finger down if you've ever made out with two people within twenty-four hours of each other." Taylor started.

The girls chuckled as Nicole and Gigi put their fingers down.

Marisa smirked. "Okay, put a finger down if you've ever used a stuffed animal to... you know."

"His name was Harry Beary Styles." Taylor explained, putting a finger down.

"You had a name for yours?" Gigi giggled.

"Okay, put a finger down if you've ever had sex." Dara said. Sarah rolled her eyes and put a finger down. Belly on the other hand, was the only one who didn't put a finger down. "If you ever been to third? Put a finger down if you've ever gone to second."

Belly's hand remained still.

"Put a finger down if you've ever made out with Jeremiah Fisher." Sarah chimed in with a knowing smirk.

Belly gave Sarah a pointed look before putting down a finger, surprising the other girls.

"Shut the fuck up!"

"Wow."

"Wait. Belly, we want all the tea." Nicole insisted.

"Um, sorry, Gigi." Belly apologized, taking a sip from her wine glass.

"No, it's fine."

"Um, I mean, there's not much to tell. He's-he's, like, my best friend." Belly told them.

"And when did it start?" Gigi wondered.

"Um, about a week ago. We kissed in the pool at our house." Belly explained with a sheepish smile. Sarah found herself smiling as well; she was happy for her best friend.

"I always had this weird feeling something was going on between you and Conrad. But I guess I just had the wrong brother." Nicole said.

The smile that was on Sarah's face slowly faded away. The guilty feeling came back once again at the memory of her and Conrad almost kissing on the fourth of July. She wanted to tell Nicole, but... couldn't.

"Didn't he like, break up with you?" Gigi asked.

"Yeah." Nicole replied with a small nod. "But what can you do about it."

The girls fell into silence for a moment. Sarah gulped anxiously as she stared down at her hands, fumbling with her fingers. She felt guilty knowing probably Conrad broke up with Nicole because of her.