Chapter 138: Resurgence

The stock market was bustling. So many companies betting on each other, so many people just buying shares of companies they had little knowledge of hoping to turn a profit. It was a lot to take in, and amateurs could be lost in the shouts. Many were. And many were easily dismayed when they didn’t immediately turn a profit. It was a long, slow, uphill climb that required intelligence. At least, that’s the story those in the game spun at conferences and conventions. In reality, it was just a matter of sheer, dumb luck, and not paying taxes for years until you were millions ahead of everyone else. Suou Shuncho, the honey badger, was aware of this fact and, as such, hadn’t paid any taxes for almost a decade. He was an expert at the true trick of the trade one needed to be in the gambling of stocks; tax evasion.
“The thing with that company coming back,” he said to his comrade, another stock market gambling badger. “It’s going to upset the market. Either in a good way or a bad way.”
“Isn’t that all of them?” his friend asked. “You could lose money or make money. Like bedding a woman for your body count, it’s just a matter of whether to pull out or not.”
“True,” Suou said. “But I mean, you could lose or make a shit ton of money in a small amount of time. I’m betting on making a shit ton of money before a sudden tank.”
“Based on what?”
“I flipped a coin.”
They shared a smirk before Suou looked down on his shoe shine. Satisfied with what he saw, he kicked the kid’s hands away before tossing a bill to them.
“Come on,” he said, standing. “Let’s go scalping.”
The two walked into the sea of people screaming over each other. It felt calmer than home.
“See you on the other side,” he said, moving to take a seat at a computer, opening up his stocks and getting back into the hustle and bustle after a very quick lunch. He was ready to make another half-a-million today. One million at best. He loved playing with hypothetical money. At that moment, the room exploded with gunshots. A machine gun was fired up in the air, blowing out screens and sending electrical sparks raining down on the people below. Suou wrapped his head in his arms and hunkered over the desk.
The shots had come from two individuals that now stood in the center of the room. A kangaroo dressed in black cargo pants and a biker’s jacket of the same color held his mini machine gun the highest. Over his head before lowering it to eye level with a sick and twisted grin on his face.
“Everybody stay down!” he yelled.
The other was dressed very much the same but with a helmet on over their face. He held his own weapon in a more conservative way, more professional with two hands, at his waist and closer to his body. He looked straight at Suou and walked right towards him. Suou had to think of something.
“This is the stock exchange,” he blathered. “There’s no money to steal.”
The helmeted figure stood over the badger, grabbing his ID badge from around his neck before flipping the visor up on the helmet. Suou was horrified at what lay within. A skull. That was all he could describe it as. A skull. It was difficult to describe. It had eyes, but there was nothing except bone. Very little muscle and the skin seemed non-existent. Despite the lack of visible sinew, the jaw moved as he spoke.
“Then why are you here?” the monster asked, looking straight into Suou’s soul. He felt the clawed hand through the glove as he was grabbed from behind and had his head slammed into the desk. He blacked out.
~~~~~
The jackal with no face used the ID and lifted fingerprints his compatriot had acquired to sign in to the stocks he wanted, nodding to the aforementioned kangaroo to hurry over and start the transfer. They hopped in the chair and began typing away furiously, setting up a full, large-scale transfer.
~~~~~
Outside, Masumi arrived on the scene with all the officers she could rally. The sirens blared as the cruisers pulled in to surround the block, focusing on the stock exchange building and its entrance. The police started to clear the scene of civilians as the police chief stepped out and turned on her radio to start protocol.
“You’ve gotta get in there!” someone shouted, breaking through the ranks of officers.
“Sir,” she said to the badger. “Get back behind the barricade. This is a hostage situation.”
“No no no no,” he retorted, pulling on her arm to get her attention. “This is a robbery. They have direct access to all the online trading decks.”
“I’m not risking my men for your money,” she snapped.
An officer grabbed him from behind and started to pull him back to the barricade.
“It’s not my money,” the badger corrected, shouldering off the officer. “It’s everybodies.”
The officer snickered.
“Mine’s under my mattress back home,” he said.
“Do you have any idea how stocks work?” the mustelid snapped. “If you don’t stop these guys ASAP, before they do any irreversible damage, that mattress stuffing is going to be worth a hell of a lot less.”
Masumi looked up as her radio clicked on, looking to the cell tower.
“Cut the fiber cable and knock out the cell tower,” she said into the receiver, yet loud enough that the badger could hear. “Happy?”
“Yes,” he said. “Thank you.”
She watched the animal go back to the sidewalk without help.
“Anything for their money,” she said under her breath.
Armed SWAT teams arrived and filed into position behind the police car barricade.
~~~~~
“They cut the fiber cable,” the kangaroo said. “Cells working, so the program is still running.”
“For now,” his friend said, an air of haste in his voice. The ‘faceless’ jackal was pacing, gun hanging at his hip with his mask as he crossed his arms in front of his chest. He was constantly looking around the room, keeping his eyes on everyone and everything. The kangaroo had no idea how he did it. How his mind could be so calm through any situation. He admired him for that.
The jackal pulled off his helmet and tossed it into the crowd of sitting people. He walked up to a vending machine in the corner and kicked in the glass, causing a little yelp from some of their captors. He grabbed two iced honey buns and tossed one to the kangaroo nonchalantly.
~~~~~
Built-in road blocks rose from inside the asphalt closing off the streets. The metal pillars prevented escape by any vehicular means. Snipers took up positions in adjacent buildings. The blocks were in place, the arms ready. Now, it was just a matter of making contact with the inside.
~~~~~
“How much longer does your program need?” the jackal asked, looking at the knocked-out honey badger’s watch.
The kangaroo looked at the percentages and how fast they were coming in. He looked at how fast the files were moving and calculated in his head.
“About eight minutes,” he said.
The jackal did some calculations of his own.
“Time to go mobile,” he said, pulling on his Plague Doctor mask.
The kangaroo plugged the satellite antenna into the computer and folded the screen so the device was in tablet mode. It wouldn’t turn off and disrupt the program until the process had been completed. He slipped it into a backpack and pulled out his dragon mask, shoving his head inside.
“Everyone up!” the dragon shouted, firing a few rounds into the air and scaring everyone to their feet.
“Thank you,” The Doctor added, barely loud enough for anyone to hear.
~~~~~
Everyone outside ducked at the gunshots.
“Steady,” Masumi ordered.
A wave of people started to slowly exit the building with their hands raised.
“Hold your fire,” she said.
The mass of animals was slowly marching down the steps.
“I got something,” a sniper called.
Masumi rolled her eyes at the brashness
At that exact moment when the officer called, not over the radio, there was the sound of an engine revving and everyone in the crowd screamed, running out of the way as two motorcyclists peeled out of the building.
“HOLD YOUR FIRE!” Masumi screamed. “They got hostages.”
The horse couldn’t help but look after the two motorcycles as they cleanly, quickly, effortlessly, maneuvered around the police cars with a hostage tied up, and sat on the back of each. They weaved through the barricades, and the leader, donning a plague mask, dumped their hostage to the curb. The second, wearing a dragon mask and a backpack, kept theirs as they both made it out to the streets, speeding off towards the freeway.
“After them,” Masumi shouted. “Get a helicopter in the air. Follow them. Go, go, go.”
The barricade lowered as fast as it could, and one by one police sped off after the duo. It was perfectly executed. Too perfect. Where had she seen that kind of precision before? On cue, she heard another bicycle rev its engine from inside the building. Another figure with the bike helmet sped out and down the road before she could give an order to pursue.
They had an inside man. Again, where had she seen that before?
~~~~~
The bikes pulled off, down into a tunnel under a large stretch of freeway. They were speeding down the road, weaving in and out of cars. The police followed in hot pursuit, weaving as best they could in their cars as vehicles pulled to the side as best they could.
“They’ve gotten off of Maple toward 329 South,” the cop called over the radio as his newbie partner focused on driving the car.
“Copy,” came from over the radio.
“I don’t think they’ll be stopping anytime soon,” the shepard said, wrenching the wheel to avoid a cement truck.
“No,” the beaver said. “They won’t be. We just gotta follow them until we can-”
A red shape sped by the driver side window and caused the dog to veer right.
“What the hell was that?” he asked. “Did I almost hit someone?”
The beaver watched the shape as it took better form in front of them.
“No way,” he smiled.
“What?”
“Son you are in for a show,” the beaver said with a chuckle.
~~~~~
In the dark, the Kangaroo pulled a gun from his waist and turned, aiming behind him. He froze at what he saw. A shape speeding towards them on their own bike. A black cape billowed behind them, clinging to their red shoulders from which there sat a white skull. Gold lines traced along break lines and a pair of fiery eyes pierced through air. A pair of tree-like antlers sprouted from the skull.
“We have company!” he shouted, revving his engine faster as the adrenaline took over. Finally, a challenge.
~~~~~
Adler wouldn’t say he pushed his bike hard. That would be an overstatement. His military-grade bike was far superior to their sports bikes. Their first order of business, save the hostage. In a sudden move, Adler didn’t see coming, the hostage was thrown to the ground. The vigilante spun his back wheel and brought his bike to a screeching halt before hitting the hostage. He looked after the two criminals getting away but felt no worry.
“Shadow?” he asked into his earpiece.
“On it,” they responded. The muzzled and goggled wolf was nothing but a blur when he passed Adler on his own motorbike, the tails of his scarf whipping behind him.
The vigilante helped the zebra to his feet as a bullet ricocheted off his shoulder. He spun to see a dog officer holding a pistol at him. The blank fury of the reaper’s eyes penetrated deep into their soul. The cop lowered his gun.
“Sorry,” he apologized.
Adler gently pushed the zebra towards the police, eyes not leaving the officer until he spun back onto his bike and motored away after the criminals. He sped up until he was neck in neck with his partner.
“Now what?” Shadow Wolf asked through his muzzle. “If the hostages are taken care of?”
Adler looked at him briefly, a little annoyed that he couldn’t think of it himself.
“Just take them out,” Adler ordered, speeding straight ahead as Shadow Wolf veered off in a different direction towards a ramp back to the surface. Adler just shook his head. He knew what he was doing and had to trust the wolf did as well.
~~~~~
The Doctor looked behind him at the two pursuers. The wolf had taken a new route, and the deer was still on their tails. The cops were far behind. It was just them. He checked his watch before slowing to go the same pace as The Dragon.
“You got rid of our only safeguard,” he shouted.
“Yeah,” the kangaroo said. “Makes it more interesting.”
“You’re mad.”
“Maybe.”
The Doctor looked back.
“You’re on your own,” he said. “Remember the meetup point.”
“See you there.”
The Dragon sped off, and The Doctor did a one eighty, speeding straight towards the masked vigilante. Time to see which was more important to them.
~~~~~
Adler’s eyes widened as the Doctor closed in on him. He had to make a split-second decision. Doctor? Or the clue to whatever they were planning. He swerved, and the doctor sped past towards the cops.
“Shadow I need you to get back here and follow The Doctor,” Adler ordered.
“What about The Dragon?” the wolf asked.
“I’ll handle him,” Adler growled. “Don’t let the accomplice get away.”
There was a pause, most likely from the wolf not understanding, but he didn’t question the deer’s judgment.
“Copy,” he said.
In a few seconds, Adler saw the wolf speed by on the other side of the road before swerving into the other lanes after The Doctor. Adler looked back after him to see the cops completely ignoring the two. They were instead honed in on Adler’s chase. The entire police force was after them, not one went after The Doctor. That was when it clicked.
~~~~~
“Two of the bikers have broken away,” the officer called to his sergeant over the radio. “Should we pursue?”
“Negative,” they called back. “Stay on Adler and the one with a bag.”
~~~~~
Adler was still a wanted criminal. He had forgotten that after all these years. More wanted than the new criminals who just now showed themselves. Now, there was another pressing issue on top of the one he was originally focused on. Great. He gunned the motorcycle after the Dragon, leaving the police far behind.
~~~~~
Shadow Wolf gunned it after The Doctor. The masked jackal was more efficient on the bike than he was. Swerving in and out of cars with such grace that he was like a stream of water in a river. Shadow did his best to follow him. He was more direct than The Doctor’s zig-zag maneuver. He just kept in a straight line between two lanes of cars, swerving only to avoid a car if it was merging. He also braked as needed, whereas The Doctor continued to gun his engine, never letting up or braking. He needed to change the playing field. They were both carnivores and hardy, able to withstand a lot of physical battering. He looked down the road and saw a chance.
He swerved, and the jackal adjusted in the expected way. He braked and fell out of The Doctor’s peripheral. He moved around the cars as they looked over their shoulder. The wolf pushed his bike to the limits and swerved as hard as he could towards his target. The Doctor looked at the last second, but it was too late. The motorcycles crashed, and the animals collided before they began to fall off the side of the road into the concrete aqueduct. The wolf gripped the jackal by his motorcycle jacket suit. The jackal, in turn, grabbed the wolf’s muzzle, bringing his attaker’s face closer to him before laying in with a punch that rattled Legoshi’s teeth. The two landed, and The Doctor was the first to stop himself, catching the ground with his feet and staying in a crouched position as Shadow Wolf continued to roll into the water.
He stayed face down in the shallow water for a bit before slowly raising himself up. He spat out the water and readjusted his muzzle. The goggles were still in place, but he had to pull them away from his face a little in order to let some water out.
“I warned you to stay out of it,” The Doctor said, standing up. He pulled out a pistol from under his arm and aimed it at the wolf. The canine looked up from the water.
“You did,” he answered. “I ignored it.”
“Your fault,” the masked animal said. “Now you have to be erased completely. With everything else.”
“Erased?” Legoshi asked.
“Yeah,” he answered. “Both of you.”
The wolf’s heart suddenly palpitated. His blood started to boil, and the rage began to flow through his body like a red fire.
“I have no problem with you killing me,” Legoshi growled, standing to his full height. “But you cross a line involving anyone else.”
The gun clicked, and The Doctor cocked his head to look at it.
“Damn,” he said, looking up at the larger canine, who had walked up within an inch of the smaller animal.
Shadow landed a punch in the jackal’s chest that sent them flying back into the concrete wall behind them. Before he could react, the wolf was on him, grabbing his collar and laying a volley of punches into his face. The Jackal thought through the punches and rolled his head out of the way from one. He brought his head down and around before swinging the back of his head up into the wolf’s jaw. The sudden impact sent the canine up, opening up his stomach. The Doctor laid in with speed the wolf had never seen.
He was thin, but it was all pure muscle. Lean muscle that was agile and much, much stronger than it looked. In a matter of seconds, he had bashed the wolf’s stomach, chest, and upper legs with so much trauma that he didn’t feel it all at first. It was like he had been run over by a truck but still alive. The pain started in his stomach, radiating outward through all nerves, ligaments, and muscle. Deep tissue burned before he felt the same kind of pain in his ribs. It felt like his bones would break, but the punches weren’t for that. They were meant to temporarily disable through pain. His legs felt the same. The last punch landed on the pressure point in his outer thigh. He doubled over and collapsed. At least he would have if his assailant didn’t swing a kick into his temple. He went flying and collapsed on the concrete.
The jackal fiddled with his pistol and remained, pulling the trigger again. Another click.
“Goddamn this thing!” he shouted. “Last time I listen to that marsupial.”
He threw the gun into the water as sirens started to blare.
“Consider yourself lucky,” the jackal said. “Next time, you’re dead.”
The Plague Doctor mask turned away and righted up a motorcycle. He jumped on and revved the engine, speeding down the aqueduct. He turned off his headlights and was lost in a dark tunnel.
Legoshi pulled himself up, clutching his stomach as his head rang. Was this what Louis faced as Adler on a normal basis? The sirens were getting louder. He needed to get away. He was good at that, at least.
~~~~~
The motorcycles came neck-in-neck. The Dragon looked over and swerved his bike violently into Adler’s, causing the two to shudder. The smaller one took the most of the impact, despite it being the one that initiated the collision. The kangaroo smiled under his mask as he wrestled back control of his bike. Adler’s bike, with its wider wheels and more sturdy frame, was barely affected. The biggest issue was the dull pain in Adler’s leg from the motorcycles crushing it between them. The bike was still close enough that Adler kicked the other bike’s front wheel, which caused it to violently spin out and kick away. The rider went flying, but Adler kept going, screeching his bike around to a halt so he was facing the downed biker. They were still, but a moment later, they started pushing themselves up from the pavement.
They stood and reached behind their back, pulling a gun from the backpack. Adler swerved as he drove towards the now armed animal. They started pulling off shots and walking towards the vigilante speeding towards them. No fear in their body at all. The shots stopped, and Adler saw that the marsupial inspected the weapon before tossing the arm to the side, out of ammunition. They then crossed their arms and just stood there. The dragon mask stared at him in blank challenge. Adler braked and to a halt that stopped the bike not more than a hair’s width from the animal’s toes. They looked down and back up.
“Pathetic,” they said. “And I was told I’d have a challenge. You look the part, but you’ve lost the ability to play. Guess the years make you soft.”
A beeping sounded, and The Dragon looked at his watch.
“Guess you can just have this now,” he said, swinging his backpack around to him. “If you’re not going to fight me for it, guess you can just…have it.”
The vigilante locked eyes with the mask before the kangaroo dropped the bag on the street next to him.
“I mean,” they continued. “I know you never killed before, but still. I was expecting a challenge. I’m told the mighty Alder actually exists in the flesh and that he is quite a challenge. I get here on assignment, you chase me on the job, I get excited for some real action and…well let’s just say the climax was very disappointing.”
The sirens started to get louder.
“Guess that’s my cue,” he said, walking to the railing on the street.
Adler was able to shake off his daze and aimed his pistol.
“No,” the kangaroo said. “That’s not fun. That’s boring. Please give me another chance before I have to leave here. I would hate to leave disappointed.”
The kangaroo threw up a peace sign before falling backward off the road. Alder jumped off the bike, rushing to the edge. The marsupial was nowhere to be seen.
The deer picked up the bag and pulled it open. Inside was a tablet with a satellite antenna on it. He pulled it out, but it was too late. The screen read: “TRANSFER COMPLETE”. Transfer of what? From where to where? A helicopter circled in overhead, and he looked up. The police were closing in.
He slipped the tablet into a bag on the side of his bike, buttoning it closed. He straddled the bike again and revved off. Towards the cops. He sped through the police force on his bike, and the cars weren’t able to turn around fast enough. He pulled the bike up into a jump. He went over the railing and fell onto another road below. He sped off, away from the police and towards home.