Chapter 140: The Boss

“If you had been a minute later we would have been caught,” The Doctor said to The Dragon, pulling off his motorcycle onesie and tossing it in the dumpster. He straightened out his suit and adjusted his mask and fedora accordingly.

“Well I still arrived within a reasonable time,” The Dragon answered. “So quit your bellyaching.”

The kangaroo stepped out from behind the dumpster in his skin-tight, tactical, full body neoprene suit. He wore it everywhere and on every mission. It was skin-tight so it fit under anything. For the kind of work he did, it was the best thing to wear. It kept him warm and dry in any condition and protected him from cuts and abrasions he could receive.

“What about the other guy?” he asked, pulling on a pair of cargo pants over his suit.

“He’s none of our concern,” The Doctor said. “He was there to help us get in and to keep an eye on us. The boss is taking care of it.”

The kangaroo nodded in half understanding as he buttoned his pants and zipped up a hoodie. The Doctor looked at his watch and tapped his foot.

“Our ride on the other hand,” he said. “Is late.”

“What were you expecting?” his counterpart retorted. “Brawds like them  make their own schedules and change them without telling anyone.”

“You would do well to not speak ill of our employers,” the doctor warned.

“What are they gonna do?”

A bright red car pulled up at that moment and the two looked at each other.

“They don’t know the first thing about discretion,” The Plague Doctor said.

“They only need discretion if they stick around for longer than they have to,” the Dragon said, walking to the car and opening the door, gesturing to the jackal to get in. He rolled his eyes in his skull before getting in. The kangaroo jumped in with a slamming of the car door and the vehicle drove off.

“Job’s done,” The Doctor said, pulling out and lighting a cigarette. He pulled off his mask and stuck it in his skullified jaw.

“It may take a while but the stocks will find their way into your possession,” The Dragon added, cracking his window to vent the cigarette smoke.

“How long will it take?” Azuki asked, turning to them.

“Depends on the size of the traded stock,” he answered. “The larger it is, the longer it will take to transfer it around to you. But it will all find its way back into your possession.”

“Good,” she said, turning back.

“May I ask a question?” The Doctor asked.

The deer looked to the driver and the panther glanced in her direction.

“Sure,” Azuki answered.

“Why?”

“What do you mean ‘why?’”

“Why are you doing this?” he asked again.

“Why not?” Reina answered, eyes not leaving the road.

“I can think of a few reasons,” he said. “One, your company is doing fine on its own. There’s no reason to steal stocks. Two, the specificity is suspicious to anyone with a consciousness. Three, the company is going downhill anyway. Taking them in will harm the current value your own stocks have. Four-”

“Because he doesn’t deserve a single cent he earns,” Reina added. “Is that not enough of a reason? The company was set up by others that actually did the backwork and he continues to reap the majority of rewards.”

The Plague Doctor shrugged and returned to looking out his window. The car fell silent until the kangaroo pulled out his phone and began playing a game until they reached the safehouse. 

They pulled up not fifteen minutes later outside an abandoned warehouse. The doors had been locked shut with NO TRESPASSING and DANGER signs plastered all over. The two got out and The Doctor walked to the driver side window, which rolled down and Reina handed him an envelope of cash. He counted the money and nodded.

“Stay in touch,” Azuki ordered. “Incase something happens or we need you again.”

“That’s how we work,” The Doctor said, turning away and walking towards the warehouse. The car drove off and the jackal watched over his shoulder at the car as it sped off. He entered the warehouse and towards the setup he and the kangaroo had. Simple, barrack living. Two beds, and camping equipment for them to live there temporarily. It was in a place no one would look and tucked away from the rest of the city. The Dragon had taken his mask off and was lying on his back, still glued to his phone.

The Doctor walked down to the other side of the warehouse, dropping the envelope on his bed as he went. He pulled out a flip phone and dialed a number, far from the kangaroo, who wouldn’t be paying attention anyway.

“You called?” the person on the other end asked.

“The task is done,” he said. “You’ll get your share.”

“Keep it,” they said. “I have no need for money and you did all the work.”

“About this next part,” The Doctor started.

“I’ve paid you in advance,” the other caller interrupted. “Paid you fully. I expect you to carry out the job as I have laid it out to you.”

“It just seems senseless is all,” he said.

“Most things are,” his employer said. “Think of it this way, if it makes it at all easier. You’re just pulling the trigger. I am the one responsible. Trust me, once you’re done, and my plan has reached full fruition, everything will evaporate. It’s all about timing, making a huge scene, placing a scapegoat, and then disappearing.”

The Doctor sighed.

“Call the lawyer,” his boss said. “Get the merchandise, and pull the job.”

They hung up and the doctor listened to the static ring for a minute before hanging up and turning back to the space.

“What was that?” he asked.

“Boss wants us to continue with the plan,” he answered.

“Of course he does,” the kangaroo said matter-of-factly. “Why wouldn’t he?”

“You’re getting the guns,” The Doctor pointed, tossing the phone.

“Well duh,” he said. “You can’t quite go out without a mask.”