Drifting Away

You guys all picked A sooooooo :D

Please listen to Escapism from Steven Universe and enjoy!!

Bdubs's Perspective-

Summer was great.

I had a lot of fun.

Well, I tried too.

It was really hard to go on without Etho.

After I got back from my trip, I called him and tried to hang out with him, but when we did, it was always with other friends, and we never really spoke to each other.

People started to see that there was something going on between us, and Skylar tried to help us, but it didn't work.

We refused to talk to each other, and slowly drifted away.

It was hard, because I always thought that he was the one.

But I was wrong.

We just weren't meant to be.

Those first couple nights of accepting that we were over were the worst.

I was always crying and felt alone.

But I eventually came to accept it.

It was just very awkward because we were in the same friend group and would be hanging out a lot.

But if we could avoid talking to each other, we would.

Well, that was until school started.

It was a new year and we actually signed up for all the same electives.

Theatre, band, journalism, and Spanish. We also ended up having algebra 2 and chemistry together.

It was mostly fine because were able to make new friends.

But whenever I saw and heard him laughing with someone else, I felt my heart crack.

It's gotten so bad, that I can't even watch Wall-E anymore.

It used to be his favorite movie and we would always watch it together.

We would share a blanket and I would cuddle next to him, despite him not being the greatest at physical affection.

But I don't have that anymore.

Even some songs are ruined for me.

Sometimes going shopping with my friends is hard if a specific song comes on, like California Girls, I end up tearing up.

It was the song we sung together at my past birthday.

I loved that moment.

He was so embarrassed but looked so cod damn cute.

But today...

well, something interesting happened.

-

"Bdubs, Etho, could you two go to the front office to pick up some papers for me?" The algebra teacher, Mrs. Garret, asked.

Etho and I exchanged glances but both nodded and we got up, leaving the class.

As the door shut behind us, we started walking towards the front office.

Etho had his hands in his pocket and was quietly whistling a song.

I was just biting my lip and praying that nothing bad was going to happen.

But of course,

something bad happened.

"So," Etho started, holding the door open for me as we walked outside of the building, "What's going on between us? Are we still taking a break, or are we...over?"

I looked at him, a bit surprised.

"I- I thought we ended it a while ago."

"Oh...did we? I didn't know since we never really discussed it." He said, nervously scratching the back of his head and chuckling lightly.

I nodded and his smile faded a bit.

"So...we are done?" He asked.

I sighed, "I don't know!" I said shakily.

"Hey, hey, it's okay."

"No, it's not!" I shouted, "You- you acted like nothing happened, we've been avoiding each other, I can't even watch Wall-E anymore without breaking down in tears because we're over!"

Etho's eyes widened.

"I can't do anything anymore, without thinking of you. I see you laugh and smile and be all happy, and I'm trying to do the same, but it still hurts, Etho! Especially since our one year anniversary is coming up in two weeks!" I said, trying to blink back my tears, "But that's not going to happen, because we broke up."

"But...I thought we were just taking- "

"A break? Clearly not."

"But we never clarified that it was over."

"Fine!" I shouted, throwing my hands up, "Fine. Just...get it over with. Go ahead, I'm ready. Say it."

Etho looked at me, concern on his face.

"I- I think we could still...I don't know, be a thing." Etho said, reaching for my hand.

I scoffed, moving it away.

"Says the guy who thought I was doing something behind his back with Doc."

"I- look, I know that was really stupid of me and I'm sor- "

"Sorry?! Yeah, you should be." I snapped, "Doc's dating Ren, you were stupid to think that I would cheat on you like that."

Etho looked hurt and he looked down.

"Don't be pathetic and hang your head down! You- you...AGH!" I shouted in frustration.

"Bdubs, I know that was really stupid of me, and I'm sorry. Truth is...I was jealous. I thought someone else had stolen your heart."

"Etho...that would never happen."

Etho sighed, "I know that now, I was just stupid. ...do you think...do you think we could maybe start over?"

My eyes widened and I turned to look at him before nodding slowly.

"I...yeah...yeah, maybe we could."