Chapter 17 - A Slipping Soul

☾𖧷☽

Oh, no, no, no, no, no

Alyssa was frozen in place as she saw Pietro fall to the ground. Blood was pooling around him and Clint had the same shocked look on his face, still tightly holding onto the child.

From the distance she could hear a scream, so blood-curdling that Alyssa wanted to cover her ears. She immediately knew it was Wanda.

Alyssa was shaking when she finally snapped out of it and she ran to Pietro as fast as she could. Kneeling next to him she frantically ran her hands over his shoulders; shaking him lightly.

"No, no, no... you said you wouldn't die, idiot! Wake up!" she yelled, tears flowing down her cheeks. Her lip quivered and she bit down on it, trying not to sob.

No, I'm not letting this happen. You can't leave, Pietro!

She repeatedly shook her head, laying her forehead against his collarbone as a single cry left her lips.

He felt cold and his clothes were slowly getting soaked with his own blood. His blue eyes were open and lifeless; staring into nothingness as his hair moved with the wind.

How could this happen? This wasn't supposed to happen!

Alyssa's tears gently dropped down onto Pietro's shoulders, mixing with the blood on his neck. She closed her eyes and tenderly laid a hand on his chest with teary eyes. But she pulled away with a gasp when she felt the warmth within; her hands glowing in a faint orange as she looked at him with wide eyes.

He's still there. Okay, focus, Alyssa.

She gulped harshly, pressing her trembling palm more firmly on his chest. She laughed in a raspy voice when she felt him; an exciting white energy swirling around. But she felt that energy starting to slip, and she balled her hand into a fist, desperately holding onto his lifeline.

Just hold on, Sonic.

Alyssa's head shot up when Kendra threw herself on the ground next to her, a determined look on her face as she nodded at Alyssa.

"Kendra, I- I can still feel him but he's slipping!" Alyssa said, her nerves getting the best of her as she looked at her teacher for help.

"It's... it's okay. Don't panic. It's his wounds, Ally. Just... keep going." Kendra stretched her arms out, keeping them just a few inches above Pietro's body. Alyssa scrunched her brows together in concentration, sweat rolling down her temple. Pietro's soul was much harder to control, and she was starting to breathe heavily. Her eyes widened when she saw Kendra's hands slowly starting to glow in a deep red, and her eyes almost popped out of her head when she saw the blood going back inside his body.

"This is so freaky... and so cool at the same time." she whispered, breathing heavily.

"Ally, concentrate."